the horus heresy time line

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jul 2009 23:07:54 BDT
this may be a silly question but i have been reading the horus heresy book and was wondering if there was a timeline for the release of the books. Since the release of the first 5 books, the series it seems has ground to a halt. Also does anyone know how many books are in the series as there seems to be no ending in sight.

Posted on 23 Jul 2009 13:46:44 BDT
JG says:
I know what you mean - i am hoping they can pick up the pace again and they get back on track. Its a case of 'too many cooks spoiling the broth'!

Posted on 4 Sep 2009 02:52:00 BDT
T. Brown says:
I think eventually there will be books released covering all of the major events, we have already had the fall of istvaan, most of the cleaving of the dark angels and their stuff, and we are about to get 2 books, by arguably the best 2 authors, on the confrontation between the space wolves and the thousand sons. I did find tales of heresy to be just filler, but i feel everything else is adding to the saga as a whole.

Posted on 7 Sep 2009 04:46:38 BDT
Ryan Smith says:
Unfortunalty the problem with the heresy is that the Black Library have a very difficult line to balance on. They either only produce the books to follow the background, which while great doesn't really give any sense of the true scale and impact that the heresy had on the galaxy. Or they try and write every story that the can come up with for the heresy, which would be an almost never ending series. I think at the moment they are getting the balance about right, they are not only telling the stories of the heresy but they are givning us a real insight into the characters and the setting itself.

Certainly the heresy timeline will move forwards with the burning of Prospero duology, but not by a whole lot. I think Dan Abnett said if the heresy took place over the course of a day, then we are just about coming up to lunch time. Which suggests that we are steadily getting though it, though on the flip side one of the old editors did mention that they were going to keep making them so long as people keep buying them.

Posted on 15 Oct 2009 21:20:09 BDT
B. Billard says:
I'm quite pleased with the majority of the books so far, as can be expected from such a deep series, there's ups and downs with it.
To reply to the length og the Heresy, in my opinion, it should end with the Traitor Legions retreating back to the Eye of Terror and Maelstrom after the Siege on Terra.
Now a novel about the entombment of the Emperor and the Second Founding could be cool, but I don't think there can be a lot of the Heresy left at that point.
But yeah, they can write a lot of books still as we've not seen the Imperial Fists, White Scars, Raven Guard, Night Lords yet. And we've not had a great deal of background on the Blood Angels, Salamanders, Word Bearers, Iron Warriors either, so..

Looking forward to them all though :)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2010 17:56:47 GMT
S. Dobbin says:
I can see your point but the problem is so many things happened at the same time in the Heresy that there is always going to be a problem advancing everything at the same pace. At this point in the storyline Horus is ready to advance to Terra, but you still have his betrayal of the Blood Angels to deal with, the White Scars to return to Terra after the Space Wolves are engaged by the Alpha Legion (I think its the Alpha Legion) Both of these are critical to the storyline and deserve a proper tale. So whilst I want to see the Siege of Terra, I also really want everything done properly.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2010 18:02:03 BDT
I believe there was supposed to be 1 book for every chapter, plus a few for major organisations and events e.g. mechanicus

Posted on 30 Oct 2010 22:30:26 BDT
G. Edwards says:
I'm just annoyed that BL insist on doing audio book only titles. they had a raven guard title i belive but purely audio book.

give me a nice book and make and audio version if you so wish, but do not make me buy something i have to use something else to appreciate.

Posted on 2 Nov 2010 20:11:57 GMT
K. Charlton says:
The Garro storyline sounds great but but i havent listened to an audio book since i was 8, hopefully they will be released as books. Seems an odd thing for the black library to do im sure some people love audio books but the horus heresy is a million + selling product and they are books. Meh.

Posted on 1 Jan 2011 01:40:40 GMT
Saladinbob says:
The books are, for the most part, chronicling the descent of the traitor legions and some have shown the Horus Heresy wasn't as black and white as it may have appeared in the first five books. Not all Legions fell because of pride or religious zealotary or because they're psychopathic killers and this makes the series very interesting. Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns have been particularly interesting showing the contradiction and hypocrisy of the Emperors vision. Where I feel the series is letting itself down is thus far, not showing why the loyalist legions remained loyal. There's been no real crisis of faith or temptations for them which makes them all seem rather bland.

Posted on 21 Mar 2011 23:44:47 GMT
pissartist1 says:
Im sure im am like many of the Heresy readers, a new fan since reading the first 3 books. Those were fantastic and i have since become hooked on the whole history of the horous heresy. The Luna Wolves, the attention to detail, the characters were perfect to bring you into their own story within the book.

I have also enjoyed all of the other books in the series, but it does seem that they are saving the best till last. ( maybe 40,000 itself)

So much liturature on the Dark Angels (Really)
Alpha Legion semed to be a stop gap just to keep people reading whilst they had time to pulish better.
Thousand Sons and Prospuro Burns did pick up slightly although I think Space Wolve fans were probably disapointed, and Dan Abnett, who is probably the best of the heresy authors, stick to what you know best.

Is this being dragged out to make as much money as possible like a james bond novel or am I the only one that wants to hear about the Blood Angels, Salamanders,imperial fists and iron warriors etc...

All in all. I love the books and the authors do a great job in tying the story lines of multiple worlds, cultures and wars together, keep up the good work and hurry the hell up with the next book
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  15 Jul 2009
Latest post:  21 Mar 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Prospero Burns (The Horus Heresy)
Prospero Burns (The Horus Heresy) by Dan Abnett (Paperback - 5 April 2010)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (55)