Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Aug 2011 20:24:11 BDT
Minnema says:
As usual, no information by Amazon. Who can help?
Thanks in advance!

Posted on 9 Jul 2012 06:53:30 BDT
"Bluedusk" says:
There are optional English hoh subtitles as well as hard-printed French subs in foreign languages.

Posted on 1 Aug 2012 07:49:21 BDT
S. Davis says:
Hi,
Is it possible to view the series with no subtitles?
Thanks for your help

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2012 19:19:19 GMT
Mrs Figg says:
Do you mean that there are French subtitles anyway? That would be a benefit if you were trying to learn French (like I am!)

Posted on 9 Nov 2012 19:28:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2012 20:26:59 GMT
"Bluedusk" says:
No, there are no French subs in either edition, French (Studiocanal) or British (BBC).
It's a general problem with French films and DVDs, and our HoH subs wouldn't help foreign students anyway: they're not closed captions of the dialogues, but multicoloured texts that essentially summarize the dialogues. They're meant for deaf people who can at least partly read on lips, and French spelling is generally too long while pronounced very fast, so the text dialogues would be displayed too fast for reading.
Then again, faithful subtitles in a show like Engrenages wouldn't really help a non-native speaker since it requires familiarity with the police lingo and various forms of slang. This is a tradition in the French cop film genre, something HBO adopted when they produced The Sopranos and The Wire. Most of the French cop films and films noirs (like Melville's) are subtitled in academic French on the French channels of Radio Canada, because French Canadians don't understand that slang either (as I doubt they can understand most of Spiral).

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2012 20:25:00 GMT
Mrs Figg says:
Thank you for your very swift reply. It is useful to know the reason why French subtitles never seem to be available. I have ordered the Spiral Box Set and hope I don't pick up too much slang! I shall no doubt need the English subtitles and am looking forward to watching the first one.

Posted on 25 May 2013 18:11:19 BDT
Else Kaas says:
Hi.

Is there Danish subtitles at Spiral?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2013 18:29:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2013 18:57:48 BDT
"Bluedusk" says:
Nope, just English as usual with the UK edition of BBC/2 Entertain DVDs and BDs. The French edition (search "Engrenages" on the DVD department of Amazon.fr) has no subs at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2013 18:45:19 BDT
Else Kaas says:
Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  21 Aug 2011
Latest post:  25 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Spiral - Series 1-3 [DVD]
Spiral - Series 1-3 [DVD] by Caroline Proust (DVD - 2011)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (320)