software needed to load waypoints to eTrex H?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 May 2011 15:15:14 BDT
easteregg says:
if i buy the required cables, for the eTrex H, will i be able to instantly use computer to GPS for waypoints etc or will i have to buy software too?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2011 14:59:53 BDT
In my experiene after a years use - if you dont mind downloading free stuff yes. Google Earth connects but you need a file converter software programme for KML (Google) to GPX (Garmin) - plenty of free ones. If you walk a lot, Anquet (and others) supply online OS maps fairly cheaply and you can plan walks online and transfer to the ETrex and also check when you get back to see where you actually walked.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2011 15:05:42 BDT
K. A. Gough says:
I have just bought an Etrex H and cable(I have a serial port) but the PC(on Windows XP doesnt recognise the preesence of Etrex when I connect and power up. Can you help, please. I am not too computer/GPS literate, yet!
Thanks
Kaggers

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2011 15:27:49 BDT
i dont think you can use windows to access etrex you need a mapping programme. if you have google earth go to tools in google earth then gps - choose garmin and you should be able to send and receive data to/from the etrex. I use anquet maps and garmin mapsource - both work fine but i am using usb to serial converter cable (very cheap) and windows 7

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2011 16:05:30 BDT
K. A. Gough says:
Thanks for quick reply. I have Anquet and have just downloaded garmin mapsource. I'll try google earth now. Any chance we could email direct? I'm adrian.gough@ntlworld.com

Posted on 9 Sep 2011 19:08:23 BDT
Derek says:
The Etrex h (and cable) works very well with the free Quo mapping software downloaded from Mapyx. The map tiles scan be downloaded quickly at reasonable cost.

Posted on 29 Mar 2013 23:29:50 GMT
Stan Ford says:
I don't know if this conversation is still relevant but I took 40 hours at least trying to get a Garmin Etrex H link cable to talk to an iMac and eventually got it to do so using Anquet Maps, a Plugables converter cable from the Etrex cable toma USB plug and software from

http://bcampblogger.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/how-to-connect-garmin-etrex-h-to-mac-running-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

This software transfers a route to the Etrex but does not show it in the Etrex waypoints. It allows you to follow the route forwards or in reverse.

Frankly this game is a dog's breakfast and Garmin are not interested because the Etrex H is old hat. If anyone else has made better progrees please let me know.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  17 May 2011
Latest post:  29 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator (discontinued by manufacturer)
Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator (discontinued by manufacturer) by Garmin
4.1 out of 5 stars   (207)