Who should play Lisbeth Salander on screen???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Feb 2010 04:47:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2010 04:54:23 GMT
AK-87 says:
Rumour has it that Sony have bought the rights to an English language big budget big name Hollywood adaptation of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo slated for 2012 release.

I loved the trilogy (I can't wait to watch the Swedish adaptations) and what is going to be pivotal to the movie's success is who they hire to play our favourite 'emo' heroine!! I think someone who has, in the past, proven that they can go to that 'dark place' in front of camera should do it. My first thoughts were, Ellen Page (Hard Candy), Natalie Portman (Leon) and even Emily Blunt (My Summer of Love.) They've all proved themselves in those films. My money's on Ellen Page because of her performance in Hard Candy. She's really short and also has that weird youthful attractiveness that Salander has. There is a sickening rumour that Kristen Stewart (Twilight) has been approached! *Shudder*. I'm not sure how talented she really is. Any thoughts, Millennium fans?

p.s. 12th March Swedish language movie adaptation is released in the UK!

Posted on 6 Feb 2010 20:41:58 GMT
Jim J-R says:
Having just read the first novel - in my head Lisbeth was played by Allison Scagliotti (Warehouse 13, Drake & Josh).

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2010 11:43:54 GMT
AK-87 says:
Scaglotti is a bit too young and inexperienced with no meaningful films under her belt. She's probably a bit too pretty to play Salander. The actress who plays Salander in the Swedish language film (Noomi Rapace) had the strange air of androgenous beauty and toughness which is needed. In the next two books, Larsson describes Salander as in her mid 20s, 150cm (4'9) and about 6 stones in weight. Her height and weedy body becomes integral to the plot, so whoever they cast needs to fit the desciption loosely at least. You also learn that she suffers from something similar to Asperger's syndrome. I'm not too sure Scaglotti is talented enough to play such a diverse character. Maybe Christina Ricci, she was pretty rugged in Monster (2003) and Black Snake Moan (2006).

Posted on 10 Feb 2010 13:35:25 GMT
C. Beckett says:
I have just finished the third book last night. When I was reading the book, I imagined Natalie Portman as Lisbeth. I think she would look the part like how she was in V (I know it's not the best film!). I can't really get my head around who could play Blomqvist though. I could see Ewan McGreogor someone like that doing it but I don't think that should happen. Paul Giamatti for Teleborian. Naomi Watts for Berger? Michael Caine for Vanger? The cast would be so big though that they couldn't have mega stars for every character! Any other suggestions? Noone else I know has read the books so I have noone else to ponder this over with!!

Posted on 10 Feb 2010 14:12:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Feb 2010 14:43:04 GMT
AK-87 says:
C. Beckett I just heard my blackberry ping and you've got some great ideas. (You've got me pondering over my lunch!) Giamatti is perfect with the goatee and all! Rumour is that George Clooney could be Blomkvist. He's got the understated looks and charm. Maybe Gerard Butler, he's only 40 but less of a big name to McGregor or Clooney. Advocat Bjurman could be done by a creepy weirdy beardy Philip Seymour Hoffman. I was thinking Julia Roberts for Berger. She can pull off the sexy, mature, wise female role! Naomi Watts is pefect though! Caine is perfect! You should be a movie producer with these shouts! I'm not sure if Portman is too classically beautiful to play Salander. Hard Candy with Ellen Page is like a Salander rehearsal! I think if they cast Kalle Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander well it is going to be an awesome movie. It's being produced by Scott Rudin (No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Doubt.) and the script is being adapted by Steven Zailian (Schindler's List, Gangs of New York, American Gangster.) I really hope they don't dumb done the script for US audiences. p.s. Would be good to squeeze some Swedish actors in like Malin Ackerman as Malin Erickson? Stellan Skarsgard as Martin Vanger? pps. They should set Hedeby Island and Hedestad in Canada to maintain the 'Scandivanian' atmosphere!

Posted on 15 Feb 2010 10:58:40 GMT
AK-87 love the idea of Malin Ackerman and Stellan Skarsgard, that would be a nice little nod to the source material. Stellan could play Martin Vanger well. Have anyone seen the movie shipping news? Didn't lke it but the island it was filmed on was the most memorable part, it would be great to film there.

As for other casting ideas, Jack Nicholson could play Vanger well, ha can charm but has a fierce side. Blomkvist would be perfectly played by Clooney, that's fantastic and his name would add weight and attract other stars to the project. I have no idea for Salander but Ellen Page is a good suggestion I think.

Posted on 15 Feb 2010 23:22:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Feb 2010 00:31:50 GMT
AK-87 says:
Dominic West (Det. Jimmy McNulty in The Wire.) for Blomqvist? He was excellent in The Wire as an alcoholic-washed up-never play by the rules-moral crusading- womanizer! I think Jack Nicholson is kind of semi retired. I could see Martin Sheen in a West Wing style take as Vanger. I've been thinking about alternatives for Salander and can't think of much. Mila Kunis (That 70s Show, Book of Eli) has the looks and has never really had a leading role. She's 5'3 according to IMDb, is slim and Ukrianian so has the looks for Salander. Too classically beautiful though, maybe. I don't think she's talented enough either! Mr Bookreaderer, I Googled The Shipping News Location and its a place called Newfoundland in the north east of Canada. Looks the part. p.s. Famke Jansen (GoldenEye, X-Men.) for Monica Figuerola if there's going to be a The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest adaptation!

Posted on 16 Feb 2010 11:46:00 GMT
By crikey AK-87 Max Von Sydow as Henrik Vagner. I also think that Mali Kunis would be great, she's really good in Forgetting Sarah Marshal. Although I think she is of 'sunny disposition'.

Dominic West for Blomkvist. I wish I'd thought of that. The only thing is he wouldn't have the status of clooney that would be necessary to get a massive audience. I like to play these casting games, you are really god at it! He is fantastic in the Wire and from our very own blighty (sheffield?).

So thats...
George Clooney / Dominic West for Blomkvist
Mali Kunis for Salander
Max Von Sydow for Henrik Vanger
Julia Roberts for Berger
Stellan Skarsgard for Martin Vagner

for me anyway.

Posted on 17 Feb 2010 14:08:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Feb 2010 14:09:56 GMT
AK-87 says:
Max Von Sydow is a great shout. He was brilliant in Minority Report. I think my only change to your list would be Ellen Page for Salander. Noomi Rapace (actress who played Salander in Swedish movies) looks just the part. Salander and Blomqvist have to look completely and utterly at odds with each other on screen. I reckon Mila Kunis is too hot to put it simply!

There's been little news online about Sony's negotiations with the Larsson estate but rumour has it that his partner (who is denied any claim to royalties from the Millennium books) is hoarding a laptop containing a fourth part and outlines for six others!!! I'm not sure how reliable the original source is but I've seen it published on all sort of broadsheet newspaper sites! I'm so gutted that I've finished them all. Now there's the Swedish language films to look forward to and the Hollywood big budget affair.

Mr Bookreaderer, if your hypothesis about the Shipping News location comes true, I guess they'll move the Stockholm locations to New York or some other East Coast city. There's the possiblity that they might do a Wallander (Kenneth Branagh) and do an English language adaptation set in Sweden...

Posted on 17 Feb 2010 16:20:19 GMT
AK I think maybe your right.

Why was the wife cut out?? I had heard that she plans on writing more books. Seems like a lot could go wrong there.

Posted on 17 Feb 2010 23:15:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Feb 2010 23:18:48 GMT
AK-87 says:
As far as I can tell, Mr Bookreaderer, in November 2004 Larsson died of a massive heart attack at the age of 50. Larsson and his partner of 32 years, Eva Gabrielsson, never married. It's been said that as the editor of a Trotskyist and anti-facist magazine, Larsson did not marry to help protect his partner from his dangerous rivals and the daily death threats he recieved. He left no valid will (not witnessed by a third party) and under Swedish law she has no claim to the wealth. There's friction between Larsson's blood relatives and Gabrielsson and the case has brought to attention the holes in the Swedish laws. Gabrielsson claims that Larsson would want her to have the entire wealth since his family had nothing to do with him all his life. It appears that the two parties are going back and forth negotiating loyalty deals (Cash plus exchange for this mystery laptop and its contents.)

This has made it difficult for Sony to tie down a concrete deal for the rights for an English language interpretation of the first novel.

Most the info is on many sites but it's all in this article from The Guardian (The Bible) from November 2009 called 'The Girl in the £20m Inheritance Battle' http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/02/stieg-larsson-partner-sweden-inheritance

Posted on 21 Feb 2010 14:02:51 GMT
P. Smith says:
bookreaders my wishies hopefully are coming true ,if sony can get a deal make the film to the book not cut out to much it will big a blockbuster,salander olga kurylenko brillant actress ,but is booktwo going to turn into a film or be part of the first film fingers crossed . larsson life story is a book on its own has the the mystery laptop the the final say

Posted on 23 Feb 2010 11:58:00 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Feb 2010 11:58:17 GMT]

Posted on 25 Feb 2010 22:35:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Feb 2010 22:38:16 GMT
AK-87 says:
I've had a little stalk online about the US adaptation and nothing new has come up. I've had another idea about who could play Salander well; Lizzy Caplan (Marlena- the nose bleeder from Cloverfield.) She could pass as part Russian, part Swedish but isn't too much of a big name!

Posted on 1 Mar 2010 09:15:32 GMT
LLM says:
Become a fan of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo film on Facebook for your chance to win screening tickets or a trip to Sweden, and find out more about the film - in cinemas on March 12th!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2010 08:26:02 BDT
K. J. Turner says:
I totally agree that Christina Ricci would be perfect for the part, although she would need a flat chested body double for any nude scenes in the first book

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2010 13:16:51 BDT
AK-87 says:
The news about Carey Mulligan has been denied by Rudin. Daily. Mail and Times first published and websites blindly copied and pasted!

Ricci was great in Black Snake Moan and proved she can play vulnerable in Monster.

My hearts still on Ellen. Page. I think an unknown is unlikely.

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 13:43:57 BDT
AK-87 says:
I'm convinced that Milligan won't be Salander. I think Fincher will try to distance the project as much as possible from the Swedish film. The reason being that 1. the Swedish film will still be very fresh in the minds of the audience and 2. Fincher, Rudin and Zaillian are more than aware that Noomi Rapace was sensational and that mimicking her performance will be embarassing!

I loved Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander but the prospect of another interpretation of the character is exciting.

More and more now I'm starting to hope Liam Neeson gets a go at playing Blomkvistt. I like Brad Pitt and all I just think he's too handsome for the role. Having said that, Liam Neeson is probably too old now.

Posted on 30 Apr 2010 20:49:33 BDT
Zigustus says:
Eddie Izzard would be good

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2010 23:14:15 BDT
S Ounsworth says:
[x] Matt Lucas

Posted on 15 Jun 2010 06:51:33 BDT
muirceadh says:
Daniel Craig for Blomkvist. Looks Scandanavian and can be dark and broody. George Clooney second choice.
Carey Mulligan for Salander. Maybe Natalie Portman or Alison Lohman
Max von Sydow for Henrik Vanger
Laura Linney for Berger (Definitely not Julia Roberts)
Kevin Spacey or Clive Owen for the Probation Attorney

Posted on 15 Jun 2010 21:36:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2010 21:41:47 BDT
AK-87 says:
Alison Lohman is an interesting selection. She does look a lot younger than 30 but perhaps not looking 15 years younger than 30.

Max Von Sydow is so very very perfect, as Mr Bookreaderer said some months back.

Laura Linney has the look. Perhaps Jodie Foster in her Inside Man guise.

Kevin Spacey and Clive Owen are terrible suggestions (Owen's worst) for Nils Bjurman. Bjurman is meant to be an upper middle-aged out of shape lawyer. When Salander puts the tattoo 'I am a sadist pig and a rapist', I'm sure Larsson describes his belly as 'blubber' or something.

Someone like Tom Wilkinson (about 60) but looks slightly younger. He's played similar slimey characters. His face is well known enough and is in a fair number of films but he isn't outrageously in the spot light.

Posted on 17 Aug 2010 13:59:05 BDT
AK-87 says:
Rooney Mara then!!!

I predicted Stellan Skarsgard for Martin Vanger back in Februrary!! I'm please with that!

Posted on 21 Aug 2010 21:05:12 BDT
have seen in the papers that the part of lisbeth might be acted out by emma watson, her of hermoine granger fame in the harry potter films, she has even cut her famous locks short to imitate the look...so what do people think?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2010 22:39:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Aug 2010 00:31:00 BDT
AK-87 says:
Michael it has been confirmed and officially announced by Sony Pictures that Rooney Mara will play Lisbeth Salander. Mara has been in the 2010 Nightmare On Elm Street Reboot and is in Fincher's 'The Social Network' but is basically an unknown.

So we are just waiting to see how the project develops for the December 2011 release.

I think the Emma Watson story is coincidental in any case. She hasn't proven that she has range for this unique role. She has no professional acting experience before Harry Potter. I have te feeling that she is a 'frowner' just like Kristen Stewart. When I say frowner, I mean the sort of mediocre actress who tries to convince us that she is acting by simply pulling off radical (and often unlifelike) facial expressions. A lot of viewers will still perceive her as a 'child actress' because of her Harry Potter association. Let's remember how graphic the sexual violence is.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  4 Feb 2010
Latest post:  29 Jul 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg; Keeland, Translator-Reg Larsson (Mass Market Paperback - 2009)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (1,947)