Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Mar 2011 20:43:13 GMT
An Important New Book
"Using FREE Scribus Scribus Software to Produce Professional Presentations" is a brand new book that I wish that had had sooner. It is a very detailed book that goes through every step you need to produce professional graphics art results using free software that can be downloaded from the Internet. Versions of Scribus are available for Windows, Linus, and Mac OSX. I used very expensive Adobe InDesign for my last book cover but I expect to use Scribus in the future. Scribus is a professional quality graphic arts program that is available under the Open Software License. This book makes it possible for even the rank beginner to achieve professional results in just a few hours. Every step is spelled out in minute detail. It is a small, but very important book.
---Fred Sias, Woodsmere Press.

Outstanding! Easy to understand, easy to create great presentations!
In a word ...Outstanding! Clear, crisp screen shots and graphics. A must for any book cover designer or publisher. Recommended for authors interested in designing their own book covers and just about anyone else who wants to create professionally published materials.

I wish I had this book when I started out. Chen has unlocked Pandora's Box to free book cover design. It really explains the easy, pull down, windows-like Scribus software way to book cover design. A perfect addition to the library of all design professionals.

I had heard so much about Scribus as a great software program but also knew there was little in the way of easy to understand documentation for it. Finally, a simple, easy-to-follow user's manual everyone can use!
---Sam Hendricks

Highly Recommended - You WILL Get What You Pay For
I read the book "Using Free Scribus Software to Create Professional Presentations" and I could hardly wait to begin utilizing the procedures outlined in it. Alice and Gang have done an outstanding job of making the creative process easy to understand by following their easy-flowing step-by-step instructions. The book provides accurate links to all the necessary software and offers eye-popping examples of the anticipated outcome. I found these examples to be inspirational and it made me work toward achieving the same results. Through its proper use, this book will advance the user from being a novice designer to an expert in a relatively short period of time. This book delivers exactly what the title projects. If you can read, you WILL be able to create professional presentations.
--- EllieW

Presentations Made Easy
"Using FREE Scribus Software to Create Professional Presentations" gives you an EASY formula to create book covers and professional documents. It guides you through step by step instructions that anyone who uses a computer can follow. The software is free and can be downloaded from the web. You do not have to search for anything! This will save you money and time. It is a wonderful concept and is written extremely well.
--- City Girl

Well thought out!
This book is very professionally done. Each page breaks the instructions down to only what you need. The color illustrations are clear and easy to read. If you want a book that will take you from beginning to end with the design of your front and back cover, this is it.
--- Sandra

You Can Do This - For Free!
A short, easy-to-read book that tells you how to design book covers yourself using Scribus and other free websites. No more paying big prices to create quality covers.

This is a truly useful book, particularly if you're a self-published author who has paid in the past to get published. With a little work, patience, and tenacity, you can complete the cover design process yourself. You might use ... other free publication sites and this book to complete the publishing process basically for free - and have a professional looking product.

It might also be useful for product instructions for your invention, your group's cookbook, or manuals for your office. If you want a presentation that people keep, make up a quality cover using the step-by-step instructions provided here.

From beginner to expert in easy to understand steps leading you through the creation of a professional cover
This book, while being fairly short as far as standard books go (only 70 pages) this book is concise and to the point. It is not just a book telling you what to do, but it goes step by step into how you do it.

Chapter One is Preparation - downloading the free software which includes Scribus and 5 other software you will need. Also included is getting the Cover Template, PDF and EPS files, the Bleed area, and Safety Area and Minimum Margins.

Chapter Two is Setting up the Sheet and Preparing the Background. It includes setting up the basic dimensions of the book cover, bleeds guides and layers (You will understand these as you go along), extracting the barcode, setting your RGB or CMYK colors (it tells you which ones to use) and adding the background color to the cover.

Chapter Three has adding the Barcode, Images, Titles and Text, and includes getting free or inexpensive pictures for your book cover. Exporting to a PDF file and making revisions, as well as a FAQ page (frequently asked questions) and a trouble shooting guide.

Then there are the appendices: List of Figures, Annotated Bibliography, and Back Page Promotion.

By the time you finish this book you will have made your book cover, and be pleasantly surprised at how much you have learned and how well these authors have presented, in their meticulous fashion, the secrets to having a professional looking cover for your book, as well as other forms of presentations.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  13 Mar 2011
Latest post:  13 Mar 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Using Free Scribus Software to Create Professional Presentations: Book Covers, Magazine Covers, Graphic Designs, Posters, Newsletters, Renderings and More
Using Free Scribus Software to Create Professional Presentations: Book Covers, Magazine Covers, Graphic Designs, Posters, Newsletters, Renderings and More by Alice Chen (Paperback - 12 Dec. 2010)
2.0 out of 5 stars   (1)