My router doesn't have wifi and I use powerline adapters. If I plug this in will it create a wifi signal or does it need the main router to have wifi?
asked by Sam on 9 Feb 2014
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
It includes its own wifi
Amazon Customer answered on 9 Feb 2014
Comment (1) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sorry - I have to disagree with some of the earlier answers. This device creates a whole new Wireless Access Point, with it's own SID, regardless of whether you have any others in your house. It does need a Router somewhere in the house however - the Router is needed to give out IP addresses to connecting devices via DCHP (which all Routers do by default) and to connect you to the Internet.

If you already have PowerLine working in your house, it sounds ideal for your set-up.
Mr. S. Poore answered on 9 Feb 2014
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Using this power-line, I now have two wireless access points in the house. It has its own broadcast on its own channel with its own password therefore your router into the house does not need to be wireless. I have checked this by using the WiFi analyser application on my Google phone which shows access points (including my neighbour) 1) Router name 2) TP-Link #. Each have a unique password. This power-line will take the signal from the other powerline connected to the router.

So simple to set up and use, couldn't recommend this enough.

Although, looking at the replies there is a mixed bag - all good here - good luck!
shaun wainwright answered on 10 Feb 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
yes, it creates its own wifi name to connect to.
jane answered on 11 Feb 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have a TP Link TL-PA251KIT system using the mains to hard wire our computers to our wifi router, but I never been able to get the TL-WPA281 extender to work. Neither has my computer savvy son-in-law and TP Link have failed to respond to an e-mail requesting help. Thus, sadly, my advice wlould be to steer well clear of this product.
Old Ed answered on 9 Feb 2014
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Unfortunately no - this will only extend a wifi signal from the 'master TP Link' which needs to connect directly to your router to pick up the wifi signal - hope this makes sense?
Des answered on 9 Feb 2014
Comment (1) | 1 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›