Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Prime Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

reviewing games before release

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Apr 2009 15:55:15 BDT
Cj Rutter says:
Why does Amazon let people review games (And other products of course) before they are even released? Ok reviewing a demo of a game is fair enough, but to say things like "Last game was a blast, this one will rock" and giving it 5 stars when they haven't even played it is stupid. The problem with reviewing a game before it's release is that if it is a negative review, it could effect the overall star rating once it has been released, giving an inaccurate rating for the product.

Please Amazon if you read this, please bar people from leaving reviews for not-yet-released games!

Posted on 24 Apr 2009 09:19:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Apr 2009 09:26:20 BDT
MR says:
Amen to that! Could not agree more. I cannot see any reason why Amazon should allow these imbeciles to review games that in the majority of instances they could not have played. The only 'benefit' I can see is that it highlights games within Amazon which could potentially lead to more pre-orders. Notice you rarely see these early reviews being negative. Agree though that Amazon should disable reviews pre release date (can't imagine it's difficult from an IT point of view).

Posted on 27 Apr 2009 20:17:23 BDT
C. Church says:
Utter sillyness.

Posted on 28 Apr 2009 16:17:38 BDT
I don't like these so called "reviews" as they are clearly just views from exited fans - however I don't agree they should be banned.

Firstly even if a game is allready released that is no guarantee that the reviewer has played the thing - nothing to stop people playing the first level for example and writing a review or not playing it all. Secondly anyone who reads them will see them for what they are - (ironically they would make ideal forum posts for the relevant game). If you banned them then the same people would post the same stuff as soon as they could anyway.

Surely no one is daft enough to pre-order something off the back of these reviews?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2009 12:05:18 BDT
Lunchface says:
That's the only way I buy games, on other peoples idealised opinions of games.
Viking: Battle for Asgard
Damnation
Eat Lead
Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer
Stormrise
Beijing 2008 - The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games
FaceBreaker
Are all resting on my shelf gathering dust. Where they belong, as I've not played them. I just look at them and remember the good times I had reading the pre-emptive reviews.

Posted on 31 Jul 2009 09:39:45 BDT
Reviewer1 says:
I think that there should be no way to post a review before the game is released. Even demo reviews are pointless. That's like reviewing a movie by watching the trailer!

Sure, people could still review it without playing it once it has been released, but at least it'd stop silly speculative comments being posted as reviews before the game is even out, which would help things. I'm surprised that Amazon haven't done this yet, what with the number of people getting annoyed about these so-called 'reviews'.

Posted on 13 Aug 2009 15:49:19 BDT
Mr. R. Moore says:
I think reviews of games via demo are valid, they tell you everything you need to know about gameplay controls and mechanics in order to make an evaluation of whether you would enjoy the full game. Comparing it to reviewing a story such as a film by trailer is not so relevant, but I assume the majority of people decide whether to watch a film based on it's trailer. Reviewing the game by demo is for people that don't have access to the demo, if the demo is available to you, why do you need to read a review?

I used to agree that pre-release reviews should not be allowed, but you can tell when it's just excited fans rubbish. On rare occasions, pre-release reviews contain interesting information and tips on release and title details that affect my decision on whether I should find out more about the game, and useful information such as peripheral compatability that is not easily available elsewhere.

Lets face it, Amazon's details on pre-release titles are only fair at best, and that's only when it's a massive title. I welcome all the information I can get, and I'll search for comformation if some of the information seems dubious.

Posted on 17 Aug 2009 13:25:21 BDT
J. Cooper says:
Why on earth would you ever base a decision on whether to buy a game on an Amazon Review section? Would you let a virgin tell you how to bone your wife?

Wake up........

Posted on 17 Aug 2009 13:48:52 BDT
G. Hanks says:
Reviews based on a demo are not fair enough. The review is for a product, a demo is not the product on sale. In fact at best it's an example of an UNFINISHED product. If people want to review the demo then keep it in the forums.

Posted on 12 Sep 2009 16:34:07 BDT
Shut up no one cares. Besides the amount of reviews it will recieve when it is released will drown out these reviews anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2010 09:08:57 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 31 Mar 2010 09:09:50 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  23 Apr 2009
Latest post:  31 Mar 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about