5.0 out of 5 stars Razer Krait, 19 Oct. 2007
This review is from: KRAIT? 1600 dpi, 3 Button Gaming Mouse [RZ01-00110100-R2M1] (Electronics)
I recently got my girlfriend into multiplayer FPS games (Insurgency mod for Source, check it out). Having recently upgraded my PC, I managed to scavenge enough parts for another decent gaming PC, apart from a good mouse.

I bought this on a bit of a whim, and what a mistake it was! I should never have said she could have this mouse! I was already very happy with my (very good) Logitech MX510, but this mouse is in a different league.

Coupled with a Razer eXactMat, the extra control I have is amazing. I had to turn the sensitivity down quite a bit, but once at the optimum setting for me it's great. I am finding myself making extraordinary headshots now, no thought involved just pure instinct. This is something I never had with any mouse before.

This mouse is supposedly designed for RTS (strategy) games, but I can't see any reason for this apart from having no extra buttons. It's specifications are nothing but top notch. 1600 dots per inch, 40 inches per second, and 1200 actions per minute (an RTS figure). A lot of cheaper mice claim high DPI rates but lack a high IPS rate, this means that sometimes if you move the mouse really fast (eg. spinning around in a game) the mouse can have a heart attack and not recognise the movement correctly.

The only downside with this mouse is that it only has the standard 3 buttons, no extra side buttons. I can see this being a problem for some people. My MX510 has 8 buttons in total, and I do miss the forward/backward buttons when browsing folders or the web. Though to be quite honest, I never found a use for the other 3 buttons, and they were all quite awkward. To add to that, I only ever used 1 of the extra buttons in games, as the only use I had for them was crouching and going prone, and it was very uncomfortable to hold the side buttons for too long (when crouching for example). With that said, the lack of buttons is greatly outweighed by the benefits of the Krait, especially the price!

The design of the mouse is great! I am finding it very comfortable even though it's of a very different shape to the Logitech. The orange glow is a nice effect, I often moan about people having all those flashing lights in their PC's, and have always been sceptical of Razers brightly illuminated products. Now I am converted! It gently lights up my wall when my hand isn't covering it, and I actually like it!

So, to summarise, this mouse is absolutely fantastic if you don't mind having just 3 buttons. That fact would have cost this mouse a star if it wasn't cheaper than the Razer mice with 2 side buttons. I personally cannot fault this mouse, and I don't think I'll buy another brand of mouse again. So get a Razer mouse and find out why most professional gamers use them!

[Add comment]