3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, but I'm glad that my lovely local librarian ordered this in for me. Not a Keeper, and not quite worth the RRP., 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Hex Appeal (Paperback)
This is a large paperback, admittedly, but the font is quite large, which I think is a clever ploy to make it seem a larger, better value book than it really is. I quite enjoyed it, though I only bought it for the Jim Butcher, Ilona Andrews and Lori Handeland tales; I did end up reading all.

Most seem to be set in established 'worlds' from these authors, so it was kind of hard to get a grasp on the tales, but all are solid enough paranormal reads for a one-off.

I'm especially glad I read the JB tale, as there hasn't been a full-length Harry Dresden tale for some time, and apparently there still won't be til next year. I've not read anything by JB for some time, but I had no trouble picking up this tale, which involves HD helping out Bigfoot. Not 'the' Bigfoot, but his friend Bigfoot.

The Ilona Andrews tale was set in the world of Kate Daniels, who IMHO, is her best creation, but doesn't feature any of the characters we've seen so far, and it took place in Philadelphia, not in Kate's domain. I was hoping for a tale featuring characters we'd at least seen before, which it wasn't, but it was a decent tale featuring Saiman's cousin, and was a worthwhile read as a freebie, but I'm not sure I'd have wanted to pay for it as a freestanding, paid-for Kindle read. It wasn't quite worth that, and I'm also debating whether it'll be worth reading GunMetal Magic, which comes out in a few weeks, featuring Kate's friend Andrea.

The Lori Handeland tale is from her now defunct Phoenix Chronicles series, and explains why things went wrong between Jimmy and Liz. It's the encounter between the fairy Summer and Jimmy, on Ruthie's orders, and would have been very welcome a couple of years back, before the series got cancelled due to falling sales. As it is, it seemed a cheap, no-brainer addition to the series, and it's a bit of a disappointment, as not much happens, other than a betrayal of both Liz and Summer. Additionally, I'm further peeved to find that despite the author saying on her website that she might consider self-pubbing the remainder of the PC series, she's since stated (I emailed to ask),that she has no plans to go down this route at present, but instead invited me to check out her upcoming Western novel. Not a great marketing ploy, and irritating too!

I got a nice surprise from Rachel Caine - an adult supernatural tale, featuring a woman in a regular day job, who by night investigates the paranormal, and whose boyfriend is a zombie she's risen. A proper tale, a bit of romance and betrayal that's not quite as it seems, and this was a great little tale. It made me wish that these leads could have longer novels of their own.

The other novellas were decent, but not my thing, therefore I'm not going to detail them, but they all had plot, an actual tale, and overall, this is a decent antho.

[Add comment]