1.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it zero stars if I could, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Canon Pixma MG6350 Black Inkjet, 6226B008 (Personal Computers)
I thought we put a lot of time and effort into researching what printer to buy, but clearly nowhere near enough was done. The brief was a printer/ scanner with wireless that put the emphasis on the printing of photos over document print quality, getting the best for our budget. All I can say is we are bitterly disappointed with this printer and 14 months in we have thrown in the towel. Why?

Running costs- this thing consumes ink at a jaw dropping rate. We even went so far as to banning the kids from printing and restricting any printing full stop just to gray scale documents, with the odd colour output for homework. Yet still every 6-8 weeks we were changing one or more colour cartridges. Whether they were the XL or normal 551 versions. In the 14 months we've had this we have gone through approximately £330 of colour ink alone. Which nearly made me fall off my chair when we have so little to show for that cost. Even taking into account scrapped photo prints, we'd still have little to show. The last two months I've kept a careful eye on the printing done and calculated we get less than a quarter of what Canon quote you get from cartridges, even with the printer set to economy printing.

Print quality- dubious. Now let me be clear, we've tried every brand, grade, finish and combination of those of paper on the market. Yet still prints are often dull, or washed out, or murky. Or the highlights so blown out I've even reprocessed image files through every possible software I could find convinced we were doing something wrong. I did find the Mac drivers had a tendency to make the printing heavy on the cyan and I went to the trouble of calibrating the output to accommodate this. Still rubbish. Even printing straight off the memory card to bypass any print driver interference still produced the same haphazard quality and washed out pictures. On the printer screen is this beautiful image and what comes out is just shocking. Which I find insane as every so often a great picture will pop out that sparkles. A lot of printing has gone in the bin and when you factor in the ink usage levels... ouch!

Given the wasted printing through poor quality output, the money wasted on paper and massive amount of ink used, I've gone back to sending images to be printed by a mid range printing service. It's still cheaper per print having triple the amount done than those done with this thing the last 14 months!!

Usability- This is the day to day scenario with this printer... switch on printer to start warm up, go into kitchen and boil kettle to make everyone a drink. Make said drink and nose in the garden for a few moments. Return to printer nearly five minutes later and it might JUST having finished the warm up routine, but not always! What a song and dance! Knocking, whirring, clicking, banging, shaking the table as it does it's thing. Finally when it does start printing the buffering speed is painful and it just makes you feel like you wished you hadn't bothered. Especially when you want to switch it off and the cool down routine is the same as the start up! It's not even like the print quality is worth it either!!!!

This is no exaggeration... whilst the homework should have been printed the night before, waiting for this printer to start up and finally print a two page piece of homework actually made us late at school the one day by over five minutes.

There is nothing good at all to say about this printer. The flatbed scanner is good quality but to be honest, what one ISN'T these days?! I've heard myself yelling and swearing at it to 'just come on for etc etc', and that sentiment is extremely indicative of how my partner and I feel about it. Bitterly disappointed and we can't wait to see the back of it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jun 2014 20:38:48 BDT
I totally agree. I have not managed to print out a single photo that looks half way decent and the inks have nearly run out. I had a Canon Pixma MP550 previously and it printed better quality than the online printing companies. I thought this printer would be even better but it is terrible. I could live with the noise and slow speed but I just want to print my photos out and for them to look OK. I am so annoyed for not sending this back. I assume from other reviews it is not a bad printer and it is the norm - but surely this can't be possible??!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2014 12:02:23 BDT
Paul62 says:
While I agree that it can be a bit slow, I have no problems with the quality and the original cartridges have lasted me quite a while. I got round the slow start up by leaving it switched on (when you cold boot it, it cleans the print heads, thereby wasting ink), it goes into a sleep mode and uses minimal power. It also means that my wife and I can print from our tablets without going upstairs to make sure that the printer is on.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›