3.0 out of 5 stars No excuse for not being as brilliant as it should be, 5 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Top Gear - The Great Adventures (Polar Special & US Special) [DVD] (DVD)
never having seen either special on TV, I looked forward to this boxset keenly. I watched "Polar" first because I couldn't really see how the boys could make ice interesting-I humbly apologise. Polar was an extended 72 min version and it was simply superb.
Yes, I laughed out loud, but it also exposed that behind the japery are three men who care very much about what they do and had a serious point, particularly in view of it being done after Hammond's Yorkshire Escapade.
I suspect that after months of having family & friends hovering every time he tried to do more than open a pickle jar, Hamster really needed the solitude of that region and the opportunity to test himself and his own recovery. James May also shone; he acted the wimp whinger but he did what all the best mates do - quietly got stuck in helping Jeremy shine without fuss or histrionics.
Which brings me unfortunately to USA. We who have little disposable income buy DVDs for the extras we can't get on TV; I rarely buy something that gives me only the TV ep, and I certainly don't buy something that gives me less! Including credits USA came in at just 52 mins! Someone who bunged a tape in the VCR for BBC2 got a better version!
I paid £20 (actually £40 as I bought 1 as a gift) for the boxset - yes, you get 12 mins extra on Polar, but are robbed of 8 on USA,leaving 4 mins of extra viewing for which I was really paying £5 a minute! (There was even a brief clip at the end -making no sense - showing Jeremy in the Camaro looking grim in rain?)
This probably sounds churlish but it's not. I like TG, for the cars I will never be able to ride in - Veyron, Enzo, etc and for the useful stuff like getting their mums to test cars - since a car accident means I struggle to get in and out of cars, a practical demonstration of how non-user friendly some cars are if you're old, or un-agile, or loaded down with shopping was inspired. But I also watch it for the entertainment - the banter, bickering and winding-each other up. A lot of that is lost on "Dave", which cuts it out for adverts, and to be honest, this USA special looked like the Dave version. Having seen the Botswana special first on Dave then BBC3, I know just how much good stuff is lost in ads, but this is a DVD. I have no doubt they could have done "director's cut" specials for both that would've lasted 20-30 minutes over an hour in each case, which would have made the DVDs worth it.
Basically, whoever is in charge of DVD production for Top Gear needs sacking or being read the riot act. Like my review for Top Gear - The challenges, this DVD should have had 5* - and the Polar special is almost worth it. When they bring out the Botswana special on DVD - as well as the flaming caravans/amphibious boats crossing the channel/24 hour race challenge, etc, I shall take a long hard look at what I'm getting for my money, and that's a bad thing - this is Auntie Beeb and this is Top Gear - I should be able to take it as read that Andy W., James, Jeremy and Richard aren't going to try and rip me off for being a fan of their car show!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]