1.0 out of 5 stars An expensive disappointment., 13 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Roberts Record R DAB/FM RDS/SD Digital Portable Radio Recorder (Electronics)
I bought this because I record a lot of radio broadcasts to listen to at my leisure, and I thought this would be ideal. I was wrong. It records onto and SD card alright, although everything does have to be set manually, when it would have been much better with EPG. Admittedly, I was aware of this before I bought it, but I wasn't prepared for its other drawbacks. 1) You can't delete anything. When I contacted Roberts about this, they suggested that, when the card was full, I buy another one. Not a very practical, or economical, solution. Surely it wouldn't have been too difficult for them to incorporate a delete button? 2)Winding a recording forward, to where you last left off listening, is painfully slow. Literally painful - I got a callous on my thumb holding in the button for five minutes to 'fastforward' 20 minutes. 3)When the alarm goes off in the morning, it is extremely loud and 4)you can't, when the alarm goes off, lower the volume, or change station without first switching the set off completely and back on again. 5) The display mode, which allows you to scroll through to an option of your choice, unfortunately changes when you change the station, so you have to do it all over again. It would have been better, having chosen a particular display mode, if that remained constant for each subsequent station tuned to. 6) I don't think the sound is as good as it should be for a radio costing £100. It's muffled.
I was really looking forward to the launch of this new radio, but it was so disappointing, and what is so frustrating is that all of these faults could have been improved with a little more forethought in the design stage.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Dec 2011 10:22:17 GMT
Thank you for preventing me making an expensive mistake in buying a RobertsR Radio.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2011 21:24:11 GMT
ringo says:
I am considering returning this radio. There are just too many poor design issues. It works according to spec so not sure whether a return would be accepted.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2011 22:55:28 GMT
BeeJay says:
Depends where you bought it. I got mine at a local electrical retailers, and I took it back there. They were a little reluctant, as it wasn't actually faulty, and I had ordered it specially, but I am a very good customer there, so they offered me a credit note, and I was happy with that. If you give it a try, good luck.

Posted on 12 Feb 2012 09:17:55 GMT
Sennapod says:
Can anyone comment on what other DAB-recording radio's are available currently (Feb 2012)? I'm looking to upgrade from an old Pure 'The Bug' which is also 'quirky' in its operation - but reading the reviews of the Record-R is look like Roberts have taken a backward step on Pure's 5-year-old attempts.
Frankly I'm very surprised that there aren't more recording models available - plenty with other features such Internet/Ipod doc/FM etc - but none with a full Record feature - or even Pause/Rewind - which was one of the key selling-points when DAB first came out.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2012 15:09:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Feb 2012 15:10:32 GMT
BeeJay says:
I share your bemusement, Senna, that the facility to record onto SD cards has largely been ignored. For me, it's the most important feature to look for on a radio.The best available, virtually the only one, is the Pure Evoke 3. I've got one, and it's excellent, everything that the Roberts should have been Only problem, it's very expensive, but, by going through the Pure website, because it was to replace my old 'Bug Too', which was no longer repairable, I was given quite a good discount. I'm glad I did it. It's quite a large, solid piece of kit, but it does everything I want, and sounds great.

Posted on 4 Apr 2012 09:49:17 BDT
Elaine Grew says:
Thank you for saving me some money, can't stand it when products are half finished, perhaps Humax can take it on, now there's a company that think outside & inside the box.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 15:30:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 02:37:16 BDT
Sorry to say, but it just goes to show how better it is through Amazon. I buy much more than I should because I know if it's not up to scratch then it goes back with no hassle, local shops won't do that with few exceptions, (John Lewis is one). NH Windsor
Despite these reviews I bought an ex demo one for half price and find it quite tricky to get accustomed to its quirks, but it records well onto several different SDHC cards.
I found that I could erase (Format) card easily using my digital camera, but that's an all or nothing, you can't selectively erase.
The best recording system is MiniDisc but due to poor sales in USA it is now obsolete. A fraction of the size of CD and larger capacity.

Posted on 15 Nov 2012 22:35:02 GMT
HB says:
For Gods sake; stick the card into any computer built in the last 5 years and delete.

The problems you have described aren't problems.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2012 22:41:44 GMT
BeeJay says:
You're easily pleased. These are major drawbacks in a £100 radio. I have two other radios, both Pure, incidentally, that perform all of those tasks easily and conveniently, which is the least that could be expected. I am not prepared to tolerate such poor design and inconvenience in operation. It defeats the object of buying a radio like this.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2013 10:26:25 BDT