5.0 out of 5 stars Answers all my 'prayers', 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Atheist responses to religious arguments (UPDATED) (Kindle Edition)
An excellent book which deals with pretty well all the arguments I've encountered, and a few that I have yet to be presented with. I imagine that this will be the case with almost everyone who reads it - and it's written in a very readable style.

I am by nature a nitpicker, but I can find very little which I would change or add to this book. However, a note explaining how unintelligent an 'intelligent designer' would be - Richard Dawkins and Jerry Coyle both like the recurrent laryngeal nerve in the giraffe, or even ourselves as an example.

It has got to the point where I almost welcome doorstep evangelists, especially of 'The Bible is the word of God, and is therefore true' variety. Get them to agree that it follows that if the Bible is not true, it cannot be the word of God, and use something from this book. Alternatively, use the fact that the nativity stories in Matthew(M) and Luke(L) are almost completely contradictory. If you do not have a Bible handy, it goes like this.

Joseph was 'of the line of David' through Solomon(M) or Nathan(L). After a total of 28(M) or 41(L) generations, his father was Jacob(M) or Heli(L). After the birth, wise men(M) or shepherds(L) attended, and then there was a flight to Egypt, to avoid the massacre of the innocents, then heading back to Jerusalem, after being told that it was safe, then being told that it was not safe, (was this some kind of joke?) and turning aside to Nazareth - i.e. not their point of origin(M). OR, back to Jerusalem for the rites of purification, and then back to Nazareth, which was their point of origin.(L).

At this point,fundamentalists often try to employ diversion tactics. Incidentally, the period of purification for a woman who has given birth to a girl is twice that for boy. Doubly disgusting.

I agree with FB that you will (almost) never get a 'believer' to change their views, but I hope that I may have sown the first seeds of uncertainty, and who knows?

Well done, Frank Butcher, I've really enjoyed reading this book, and thank you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jun 2013 16:02:05 BDT
D. S. Sample says:
Good review , I am currently reading God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--why We Suffer you may enjoy this .

Posted on 4 Dec 2013 12:33:30 GMT
"Alternatively, use the fact that the nativity stories in Matthew(M) and Luke (L) are almost completely contradictory."

They are supposed to be!

I suppose you would say that an original version of a song (like "Enter Sandman") and an accoustic version are not the same song, even if they are performed in different keys! Metalica would disagree; they would still demand the royalties for any cover version!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 13:00:34 GMT
D. S. Sample says:
Are Metallica your favourite pop group hp ?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 13:35:47 GMT
"Metallica... pop group"

Now you're almost being blasphemous!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 17:52:00 GMT
D. S. Sample says:
Are they not on one of those " that's what I call music " compilations ?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013 09:46:56 GMT
D.S. Sample:

"Are they not on one of those " that's what I call music " compilations ?"

Now you're thinking of Pantera and Half Man Half Biscuit.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013 09:56:57 GMT
D. S. Sample says:
Oh right , I don't know anything about Metallica if I passed them on the street I wouldn't recognise them .But I'm sure they have their merits , .... Probably

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013 11:32:16 GMT
D.S. Sample:

".But I'm sure they [Metallica] have their merits , .... Probably"

Interesting... but how does all this promote Darwinism?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013 12:31:13 GMT
D. S. Sample says:
Well I would say evolution affects every aspect of our lives , I'm not always sure about the term 'Darwinism' as he only reported the evidence , what he reported had obviously had been in progress from the start of life , all things that had happened in the progress of live has lead to this moment , if there had been a slightest change in any event Metallica may not of been here . I would say that the promotion of Darwins observations is all here now , even though it has taken a rather abstract conversational aspect , still it proves that we are thinking & that can only be a good thing .

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2013 06:41:08 GMT
D.S. Sample:

"I would say that the promotion of Darwins observations is all here now"

The promotion of Darwinism would ensure a fairer, more just society, and that cannot happen without consequences!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›