ARRAY(0xa43ec4f8)

5.0 out of 5 stars QNAP TS412 - Excellent, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: QNAP TS-412 Digital Home Series (Diskless) 4 Bay All-in-One Desktop Turbo NAS Server Multimedia Station (Accessory)
After spending much time researching the various NAS drives available this was the one I settled on.
There are a large amount of configuration options within the NAS, perhaps more than enough for the average technical home user.

I have an atom PC (running windows home server) connected to the NAS drive via a Gb switch which is also connected to 3 x Popcorn hour A210 boxes, which allow the sharing of all my media and even applications through the TVs

This setup allows me to run a SQL server, MySQL server, IIS web server and a PHP web server.

There are plenty of backup options for most scenarios within the NAS. 2 x Gb ethernet ports to provide load balancing and redundancy in the correct environment.

I have 4 x 3Tb HDD in the NAS. They are not in QNAP's compatibility list, and they only cost 120 and have performed perfectly so far.

The seller I also very good and reliable.

If there is anything you would like to know, please comment on this review

An outstanding product.

Nathan

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Nov 2011 20:51:44 GMT
Just bought one and was browsing over the hard drives and can't decide! Which hard drives are you using?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2011 22:44:00 GMT
Hi Mr Cassar,

Firstly, it depends what you are using the NAS for. For normal home use and not in a demanding business environment you should be fine with the cheaper hard drives. The more exspensive hard drives offer much increased reliability in demanding environments.

The drives I am using are set up as RAID5. This means I only get 9Tb of the full 12Tb capacity but one drive can fail and I wont lose any data.

I purchased WD30EZRX from Scan.co.uk: for http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=WD30EZRX

7200rpm, 3Tb, Sata III.

At the time these were priced at 120, unfortunately they are now over 170

I have found some links to other stores that sell the same drive for close to the original price I paid:

I haven't used these stores so I can't comment on their reliability.

Remember to attach an external hard drive to back up your really important data. I just use a 1Tb hard drive for this and use the backup options within the NAS

Hope that helps.

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 16:52:31 GMT
Hi Nathan,

Do you know if you can run this with 3 2TB disks in a raid 5 array and add extra disks when required? I currently have 4 2TB disks with data on. Due to not wanting to loose this data I would like to make a raid 5 array with 3 disks, back up my data on the 4th disk and then add this to the array later. I would not be able to add all disks into the array from the start.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2011 16:51:25 GMT
Afternoon Mathew,

I can see what your trying to do here. It's always a problem at first trying to move your data across!

I would recommend buying another drive to give you 4 x 2Tb immediately. Then you can use your existing spare drive as an external drive for backup of the critical files on your nas and would not lose any data if there were problems in the expansion process.

If you dont want to do the above:

First off, for RAID 5 you need a minimum of 3 drives, so you are fine there. As to adding an extra drive; you can do this and preserve your existing data. Remmeber: this can take a LONG time, and never turn off/reset your NAS during this process. Also remember that any problems with your drives during this process can mean data loss.

So you have two choices.

I opted for the first one.

Hope i've helped!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2011 18:32:00 GMT
Cheers Nathan. I think I'm going to back up the data from 1 disk, make a 3 disk array using that disk while preserving the data on it, move the data from the 4th disk into the 3 disk array and then extend the array to include the 4th disk.

I was also looking at the popcorn a-210 and was wondering how the system was working for yourself? My setup requirements would be cabling the NAS device to my wireless router and then connecting to this NAS wirelessly using 2 popcorn a-210's which would connect to my 2 tv's. Do you know if the popcorn a-210's support wireless N connections and how do you reckon the streaming of video over a wireless connection would be? I'm just trying to find out if it would live up to my requirements before spending all this money!

Once again thanks for all your help.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2011 21:56:18 GMT
Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Before I get into the A210's performance, the A300 has just been released, extra 130MHz clock speed, flash UI, for an extra

$20

The A210 has worked flawlessly for me, it has 512Mb DDR RAM, and a 667MHz CPU. It easily output performs Windows Media

Player on my laptop!

I have CAT6 cabling throughout the house. A Gigabit switch and a standard router for the internet. Both of my QNAPs

ethernet ports are connected to the gigabit router to provide failover and load balancing, my A210 is connected to the

gigabit switch and my standard router connected to the gigabit switch to provide internet.

The A210 is great, I watched a Bluray rip of Avataar from the QNAP and it worked perfectly, seeking, fast-forwarding,

rewinding is nearlly instant. The market also has some great apps, youtube, facebook, bbc iPlayer, etc and many more.

I recommend putting a harddrive in the A210 for the added functionality it will offer, this doesnt have to be any special,

mine is an 80Gb I think.

The A210 offers, Usenet, ftp, bit torrent client, UPnP server, samba server, nfs server as services.

The A210 supports wireless 802.11n with the additional purchase of a wireless dongle, WN-150. You can also plug external

devices into the A210 and plug the A210 itself into a pc (USB slave).

Many years ago I gave up with wireless for anything other than internet. Wireless N is perfectly capable of transporting a HD film. Wireless N has a bit rate of upto 600Mbps in the right conditions (including flow control, error correction, protocol over head) and bluray a data transfer rate of around 54Mbps, so theres space in the air for that. The problems you may run into are with interference from other devices/conditions, cordless phone, microwave, solar activity, atmospheric conditions etc. Sometimes Im lazy and cant be bothered to plug the laptop into the wall and watch a film, most of the time its fine, but it's annoying when the 1 in 20 times it isn't. (I haven't watched a blu ray on my wireless yet)

I spent a bit of effort to to wire the house. Try getting the dongle its only 20 quid, if you find its a bit flakey, cable your house.

Popcorns website does state:

"** Wifi performance varies greatly depending on location, interference and other factors based on your local environment. The WN-150 is no exception. The ability to stream hi-def video depends on the bit rate of the video and your local Wi-Fi performance."

Hope it helps.

Nathan

Posted on 29 Dec 2011 11:22:42 GMT
MajorBoogie says:
Hi Nathan,

i have been looking at NAS for a Home setup for some time now and both QNAP and Synology have come up quite a few times mainly becos i own an iMac and I recently purchased a Windows 7 Vaio for the missus.
Im not at all versed with all the networking terminology so please excuse me if I sound a little dumbed down (haha!).
My main questions is really about the backing up of data. At the moment the bulk of my data is on the iMac which i would like to transfr over as soon as i can make my mind up on the NAS model to go for. So when i transfer data off the iMacto the NAS do i need to assign a specific drive in the NAS to back up incoming data from the iMac only. The reason I ask this is because my iMac HD is formatted to HSF. Obviously then at some point when i need to back any data stored on the Vaio would i need to assign a drive within the NAS for the Vaio to back up to?

I was also looking at the QNAP site for details on this product do you whether it can support Bittorents for background downloading? And how does setting up the downloads actually work is it by using a bittorent software on the computer or via the QNAP NAS software installed on the computer?

Any advice on these tiny matter would be appreciated.

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 13:35:44 BDT
VIKASH SHAH says:
Nathan,

I had a bit of a n00b question...

If I bought one of these, put in 2x2TB hdds, RAID 1.
then further down the line bought another 2/3TB hdd when prices dropped a bit, would it be hard to convert it to RAID 5?

Thanks,
Vikash

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 14:01:08 BDT
Hi Vikash,

Yes this device supports both RAID migration and RAID expansion. What I would do is replace the 2x2TB hdds using 2 of the 3TB drives with the RAID expansion (each drive obviously has to be done separately). Then add the 3rd hdd and use RAID migration to convert the array from 1 to 5.

For further information QNAP's user manual does have a section that covers this exact requirement http://docs.qnap.com/nas/en/index.html

There are a few bugs in the firmware I have come across and these are 1. not being able to expand the array using the web console. There is a workaround listed in their forum which explains how to do this using UNIX and Putty. 2. The device suffering from bad transfer speeds when it gets to roughly 90% full (which I believe QNAP are currently working on a fix for).

I think these are great devices but I have had to learn a bit of UNIX to work around some of the issues I have come across.

Hope this helps!

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 16:46:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 16:47:03 BDT
Onion says:
Hello.

I'm looking to buy my first NAS device and am facing a dilemma. This device (QNAP TS412) seems to fit the bill nicely, especially in price/capability comparison with the Synology DS411j. However, I can't afford to fill all four bays with 3TB disks yet and planned to do it in stages. I have been told that the Synology Hybrid RAID system would make this effortless, even with disks of different sizes. Do you know how this QNAP system would fare? Do I need to buy disks of identical size right from the word go?

Many thanks for your expertise..
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›