4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap IPS monitor, 27 Sep 2011
I have been looking at IPS monitors for some time, only affordable are Asus PA238Q and this. I bought this monitor for about 203£ including shipping from the merchant at Amazon.
It is a great monitor for everyday use. It is an e-IPS panel, which today is the lowest quality IPS panel. Still, I find this not a problem, since other IPS panels are at least twice as much expensive.

Picture Quality
Monitor has 16.7m colours, they are solid and saturated. Contrast is good. Black levels are not the best, especially when viewing from angle. Watching from a very short distances (70cm and less), it is possible to see between white pixels and this damaged the quality of the colour (this happens only with a very light colour, mostly white). It is great for gaming, people who say that IPS is not for gaming are wrong. At the moment I use this monitor for gaming on PS3, but in the future I will work with graphics applications (Photoshop etc) and I am sure it will perform well.

Performance
There is no ghosting, or at least no visible ghosting. Monitor finds connection instantly, turns into energy saving/sleeping mode as soon as I turn off the computer. I no longer have to check if the chair is in the right place, so I can see picture from the right angle. Monitor does not offer as good viewing angles as other type IPS panels, but it is fairly good (far better than TN).

There are no issues with tint or dead pixels with my panel, people used to complain about older Ultrasharp monitors which had slight tint issues.

Look of the monitor
Monitor looks great. It comes with buttons, not touch nonsense which many manufacturers use. The stand is top quality: functional and stylish. I was surprised how good the stand is. I heared people complaining about Ultrasharp coating, and it is indeed a problem when looking at white images. For gaming and movies watching, it is not a problem. For working and browsing (looking the the static white (or light) view) it is. It is a matte surface, I would much rather use this than glossy MAC screens which are a nightmare to work in the lit environment.

Connectivity
I am sure you can read it in the description. My issue is that there is no HDMI, I had to buy HDMI-DVI cable in order to connect my PS3 to the monitor. Monitor support HDCP, it is pretty much a standart these days. Monitor also came with DVI-DVI, VGA-VGA and one USB-something cables, official description does not mention them.

Conclusion
I have surfed a lot about this monitor, sadly there is no decent review of it. Some user impressions on youtube, some articles about specs. I was surprised that even one month after the release of the monitor no-one wrote a decent review. If you are reading my review in order to find out about whether or not you should buy this monitor, believe me, you will not be disappointed. Monitor also comes with Dell 3 Year Next Day replacement warranty, this is a major thumbs up for any device.

Only cons:
Coating produces ''sparkles'' (reason for -1 star)
Black levels can be darker
No HDMI

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 33 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 13:44:21 BDT
VIRGINIJUS says:

Posted on 28 Apr 2012 16:01:18 BDT
G. Parker says:
I believe the Dell 3 year warranty only applies if you buy directly from Dell.

Posted on 11 May 2012 12:20:56 BDT
RJ Rushton says:
Hi Tomas - Can you confirm how you connected this monitor to your PS3? You say you used a DVI-HDMI converter, does this carry audio? If not do you need a seperate cable for sound?

Many thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 12:39:59 BDT
Hi,
yes, HDMI to DVI cable works fine. I would suggest using AV cable from PS3 to connect it to speakers, you will need an adaptop depending on your speakers configuration. It is barely a pound if you have 2.1 or 2 speakers, but if you have 5.1 speakers, it might cost you more. I got my adaptor with speakers. Also, if you have speaker set which support optical (Digital Out), then use this instead. You have to tell PS3 to output sound from the proper port, this is just a few clicks in the settings menu on XMB.

Also, I would not recomment getting this monitor if you graphics card does not have Display Port. You will need DVI connection for PS3 and switching PC and PS3 cables every time is a tedious thing.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 12:47:01 BDT
RJ Rushton says:
My graphics card is getting old now but it does have displayport output (HD Radeon 6770). Many thanks for your help, i've ordered a displayport cable so i'll use that to connect the monitor to my PC. I currently connect my PS3 to my 40" Sony Bravia HDTV but was hoping to connect it to this Dell monitor when the wife wants to watch TV and I want to play Skyrim!! Is there an easy way to connect the PS3 to both PC & HDTV or this impossible? Maybe an HDMI switcher?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 09:16:52 BDT
Well, if you can reach the back of the PS3 there is no trouble using another cable. For monitor, it is difficult to reach back all the time. Of course there are solutions like switches.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 17:30:49 BDT
RJ Rushton says:
Hi Tomas, i recently purchased a 7.5M HDMI to DVI Monitor Display Cable Lead, DVI-D, Premium Quality, Gold Plated. One end is Dual Link DVI-D (24+1 pins) and the other is HDMI. Will this cable allow me to connect the Dell U2312hm to my PS3 (for video)? Thanks in advance

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 18:00:22 BDT
Yes, it is going to work just fine for video.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 18:04:54 BDT
RJ Rushton says:
Thanks, I was worried that the DVI connection on the monitor might by DVI-D single link but having checked it - it looks like it has 24 pins so should be ok.

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 13:12:49 BDT
B. Payne says:
This model is in the PC Pro August 2012 Labs Review of "Budget TFTs"-- it is the Labs Winner.

--BPayne