4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap IPS monitor, 27 Sep 2011
I have been looking at IPS monitors for some time, only affordable are Asus PA238Q and this. I bought this monitor for about 203£ including shipping from the merchant at Amazon.
It is a great monitor for everyday use. It is an e-IPS panel, which today is the lowest quality IPS panel. Still, I find this not a problem, since other IPS panels are at least twice as much expensive.

Picture Quality
Monitor has 16.7m colours, they are solid and saturated. Contrast is good. Black levels are not the best, especially when viewing from angle. Watching from a very short distances (70cm and less), it is possible to see between white pixels and this damaged the quality of the colour (this happens only with a very light colour, mostly white). It is great for gaming, people who say that IPS is not for gaming are wrong. At the moment I use this monitor for gaming on PS3, but in the future I will work with graphics applications (Photoshop etc) and I am sure it will perform well.

Performance
There is no ghosting, or at least no visible ghosting. Monitor finds connection instantly, turns into energy saving/sleeping mode as soon as I turn off the computer. I no longer have to check if the chair is in the right place, so I can see picture from the right angle. Monitor does not offer as good viewing angles as other type IPS panels, but it is fairly good (far better than TN).

There are no issues with tint or dead pixels with my panel, people used to complain about older Ultrasharp monitors which had slight tint issues.

Look of the monitor
Monitor looks great. It comes with buttons, not touch nonsense which many manufacturers use. The stand is top quality: functional and stylish. I was surprised how good the stand is. I heared people complaining about Ultrasharp coating, and it is indeed a problem when looking at white images. For gaming and movies watching, it is not a problem. For working and browsing (looking the the static white (or light) view) it is. It is a matte surface, I would much rather use this than glossy MAC screens which are a nightmare to work in the lit environment.

Connectivity
I am sure you can read it in the description. My issue is that there is no HDMI, I had to buy HDMI-DVI cable in order to connect my PS3 to the monitor. Monitor support HDCP, it is pretty much a standart these days. Monitor also came with DVI-DVI, VGA-VGA and one USB-something cables, official description does not mention them.

Conclusion
I have surfed a lot about this monitor, sadly there is no decent review of it. Some user impressions on youtube, some articles about specs. I was surprised that even one month after the release of the monitor no-one wrote a decent review. If you are reading my review in order to find out about whether or not you should buy this monitor, believe me, you will not be disappointed. Monitor also comes with Dell 3 Year Next Day replacement warranty, this is a major thumbs up for any device.

Only cons:
Coating produces ''sparkles'' (reason for -1 star)
Black levels can be darker
No HDMI

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 33 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 04:46:45 GMT
Just turned off/on monitor, it took 1-2 seconds after I pressed on button to show graphics. I have seen Dell logo coming up, but can't remember when. It also shows which input is in use for a second or two after graphics appear.

Buy this monitor from kamco, he is a great seller and beats Amazon in price.

The monitor is great if you need matte surface. And if you are going to use it for gaming/videos, sparkles effect will not bother you at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2011 02:35:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Nov 2011 02:37:06 GMT
J. Potter says:
Many thanks for checking that out for me dude, I really do appreciate that.

For now though, I'll most probably just stick with my BenQ, seeing as I only got it for £166 pounds and it's 24". It's a very basic monitor that doesn't have USB ports or speakers, so maybe that's why it's cheaper (Amazon are selling it for nearly 180 I've noticed).

I thought the whole 'turning black before graphics appear' was just a Benq issue, but seeing as it seems to happen with most (I don't see why, my Acer never did that) I may as well just stick with this one. Unless there is a major difference in picture quality, but seeing as this monitor uses a lower end IPS panel I can't really see how much of an improvement it would be to my standard VA panel, because apart from the gloss, it really does give good picture, although I may have to do more research and comparisons, but the black levels are VERY good on the Benq.

Thanks again-

N. Potter.

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 02:28:24 GMT
Brett says:
Hi there. I have to ask as this is the only thing keeping me from clicking the 'buy' button. Just how bad are the 'sparkles'? I mean, you said you don't notice it in games, but if the image on-screen was very bright (think Mirror's Edge for example), would the 'sparkles' be visible then? The low input lag is an absolutely plus here as I intend to use the monitor mostly for gaming (browsing being the only other use), but if the coating on the screen itself makes it lack clarity, even only a bit, I can see this putting me off buying it.

Thanks for any replies.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2012 16:09:33 GMT
D. P. Singh says:
Dear Tomas, Many Thanks for such a fine and detailed review, I am all but set to buy this because now it is available on Dell for £ 179/- (January sale) BUT could you pls help me. I mainly want to buy it to read word Documents as well as for webbrowsing. I don't play game or watch movies on computer monitor. I just wanted to upgrade my aging 17" Toshiba (TN off course) to an IPs 23" to reduce eye strain and for just better experience. You mentioned about Ultra sharp coating for anti reflection and that it is problem in white docs. How does it affect ? can we reduce brightness to match ambient light ? please reply

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2012 16:26:22 GMT
Hi,
I wouldn't say that the coating is a problem. Either I am used to it or it is barely noticeable at the moment. You have a massive range in brightness, not sure what is ambient light in your environment. I live in a fairly badly lit room, but if you tune contrast and brightness, it is possible to get almost any type of light emission. Back to coating, it will not cause any trouble if you don't think about it. It is like:
You are not... breathing manually. You will notice sparkles only when you think about them ;)

Consider the fact that this kind of monitor will leave many blank space if you are working with single column word documents. It almost fits (lacks 1cm) A4 page from top to bottom, but it can fit 2.5 A4 pages from left to right.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2012 17:25:46 GMT
D. P. Singh says:
Many Thanks -you are a Star.
I am ordering now directly from Dell, because untill 1st Feb even delivery is free so all you pay is £ 179.35/-
With Best Regards

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2012 15:57:46 BDT
VIRGINIJUS says:
Hi Tomas. I bought this monitor before Christmas 2011. Amongst all papers there is nothing in English about warranty. Even there is no warranty for a year. Are you sure that you have it?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2012 17:09:20 BDT
Hi (Sveikas),
I was told that in case of any problem I should contact with Dell. They will track your monitor based on the serial number. I have also received some foreign language papers, nothing about warranty, so I asked seller about that. I have a number he told me to call somewhere, but I did not have any problems yet. Please let me know if you need that number, even though I am sure Dell support will connect you to the right sector.
Hope it helps,
Tomas

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 08:21:04 BDT
VIRGINIJUS says:
Thank you for quick reply. I wrote short review on this monitor, actually about warranty matters, not performance.Yes, I need that number in case something happens. Usually Amazon's Customer Support is excellent, but not this time and probably it's not their fault that package has no warranty papers, but somebody's in marketing department. I hope will be no rule breaking if you post that tel.No. here for everyone. By the way I am from pnvz too. Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 13:28:36 BDT
"How Dell Warranty works is that you call up the support number which is 0844-338-1200 and give them a serial number."
I have never tried calling it, but I believe it is a valid number.
Tomas