4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap IPS monitor, 27 Sep 2011
I have been looking at IPS monitors for some time, only affordable are Asus PA238Q and this. I bought this monitor for about 203 including shipping from the merchant at Amazon.
It is a great monitor for everyday use. It is an e-IPS panel, which today is the lowest quality IPS panel. Still, I find this not a problem, since other IPS panels are at least twice as much expensive.

Picture Quality
Monitor has 16.7m colours, they are solid and saturated. Contrast is good. Black levels are not the best, especially when viewing from angle. Watching from a very short distances (70cm and less), it is possible to see between white pixels and this damaged the quality of the colour (this happens only with a very light colour, mostly white). It is great for gaming, people who say that IPS is not for gaming are wrong. At the moment I use this monitor for gaming on PS3, but in the future I will work with graphics applications (Photoshop etc) and I am sure it will perform well.

Performance
There is no ghosting, or at least no visible ghosting. Monitor finds connection instantly, turns into energy saving/sleeping mode as soon as I turn off the computer. I no longer have to check if the chair is in the right place, so I can see picture from the right angle. Monitor does not offer as good viewing angles as other type IPS panels, but it is fairly good (far better than TN).

There are no issues with tint or dead pixels with my panel, people used to complain about older Ultrasharp monitors which had slight tint issues.

Look of the monitor
Monitor looks great. It comes with buttons, not touch nonsense which many manufacturers use. The stand is top quality: functional and stylish. I was surprised how good the stand is. I heared people complaining about Ultrasharp coating, and it is indeed a problem when looking at white images. For gaming and movies watching, it is not a problem. For working and browsing (looking the the static white (or light) view) it is. It is a matte surface, I would much rather use this than glossy MAC screens which are a nightmare to work in the lit environment.

Connectivity
I am sure you can read it in the description. My issue is that there is no HDMI, I had to buy HDMI-DVI cable in order to connect my PS3 to the monitor. Monitor support HDCP, it is pretty much a standart these days. Monitor also came with DVI-DVI, VGA-VGA and one USB-something cables, official description does not mention them.

Conclusion
I have surfed a lot about this monitor, sadly there is no decent review of it. Some user impressions on youtube, some articles about specs. I was surprised that even one month after the release of the monitor no-one wrote a decent review. If you are reading my review in order to find out about whether or not you should buy this monitor, believe me, you will not be disappointed. Monitor also comes with Dell 3 Year Next Day replacement warranty, this is a major thumbs up for any device.

Only cons:
Coating produces ''sparkles'' (reason for -1 star)
Black levels can be darker
No HDMI

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Oct 2011 09:12:41 BDT
Thanks for your review.
There's now a professional review available at:

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 20:44:31 GMT
J. Potter says:
Does it have a matte or gloss coating? I hate the gloss.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 21:32:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2011 21:38:27 GMT
Hi,
the monitor has a matte coating, however, due to this coating it has a sparkling effect. This might be even a dealbreaker for some people when they see it for the first time. I have worked on Apple screens, they have horrible reflections, this screen barely has any.
I think I should have removed one star for the coating effect... It is not visible when gaming or watching movies, but it is when working or surfing net in a white environment (on-screen environment, like browser background).

I think that Asus ProArt 23 IPS monitor is the best in this price range.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 00:05:32 GMT
J. Potter says:
Thank you for the feedback.

I tried searching for that monitor, but couldn't seem to find it.

I own the BenQ VW2420H 24-inch W LED Tilt Monitor (1080p, DVI and HDMI) - Black which has semi matte/gloss finish. It does give off terrible reflections, so I would dread to think what a proper gloss screen does!

Does it have reflections during the daytime? In a brightly lit room you can really see the refections with the blacks on the BenQ.

Just thought I would ask, as I'm thinking of returning this one for the Dell but wonder if it would be worth it.

LED backlighting is also a huge factor as well, as I cannot stand the high pitch sound when turning down the brightness.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 00:34:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Nov 2011 00:35:39 GMT
Here is the model number, just look it up in Amazon. It goes for like 220 Pounds in other shops.

The Dell monitor is great, it has matte coating. You can sometimes see a small change in values, but there is no way that can bother you. Coating comes with the burden, produces sparkles. Look it up, some people might have been able to explain it properly.

You will only hear button pressing sound when adjusting this monitor, no sounds coming from within. I have not tried that BenQ monitor, so I can not say which is better.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 02:07:36 GMT
J. Potter says:
Thanks again for the reply, but I still cannot find it, would you be able to provide me with a link?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 02:59:31 GMT
Sorry, forgot to include the copy of the model: PA238Q

Link:

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 03:34:05 GMT
Thanks mate. :)

I guess I better start saving then, looks like it's had good reviews!

Do you own it?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 03:47:25 GMT
No, but I think this would be the model I would go if I didn't buy Dell one. I can't guarantee that it is brilliant, I just suspect so.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 01:32:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Nov 2011 01:36:09 GMT
Ok thanks.

One more question (and it may seem like a strange one) but when you turn the monitor on, does the logo show up and the screen go blank for a few seconds like it does with the benq? This makes it's very frustrating when using XBMC.

I also see that the Asus has gone up in price and the Dell is now only 210, I'm really very tempted because using the one I have now which is semi matte/gloss with a VA (not IPS) panel which means its almost impossible to use near windows and bright lights.

I'm not into photography or anything, just web browsing, video editing and watching movies.

Once again, sorry for all the questions, but I really need to know as I'm very tempted at the current price!

regards-