2.0 out of 5 stars Some great rides. Usually OK, but avoid of the trails, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Wales Mountain Biking (Paperback)
I bought this book having bought 2 others in the series and found them very useful and informative. This one had promise but disappointingly only had a few routes near where we were staying in North Wales.
We tried 2. One was in the Clowydian Range. This was made longer by chucking in a few extra loops along the Clowydian Way.. This route is a very muddy one, we rode it in winter. Nice enough though but certainly not massively technical.
The next one we tried started in Capel Curig. It was a black route and we expected some great technical riding. It required compass and good map reading skills and shouldn't be done in poor weather. I think this route is particularly over-used. I suspect because of the lack of trails listed. There was lots of erosion, very boggy to the point of being unrideable long before Lake Cowlyd just over the stone footbridge. Eventually you can ride up this moorland when your tyres stop sinking after roughly 2/3 of the way up. As we descended to the lake, the trail became totally eroded. The descent was treacherous and unless you are an expert in trials biking, I mean this as no joke, I would not attempt to ride. We carried our bikes down and even that was tricky. Do not attempt to ride this section as you are in the middle of no-where and it'll be a long wait for the helicopter if you break a bone - which you will.
The trail along the lake was again tricky and raised some smiles. The cafe on the return journey, just before the off-road section, only takes cash so be prepared. The cakes are lovely looking but we could only scrape enough for half a sandwich each.
The off-road return was again particularly eroded and unless you can continuously pull wheelies and bunny-hops of at least 2ft high then you'll be walking every 30 seconds. It really was quicker to walk.
I really think this route should be left alone to recover. It's a shame because it could be very good otherwise.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jun 2013 00:08:49 BDT
you dont sound like very good riders to me im afraid. also you clearly had bad rides due to very bad weather. i could describe some brilliant and favorite rides in the hope valley as 'eroded' and in terrible condition. Given the extended winter we have had. Also a review of the cake shop is not pertinant try tea&cakes.com for that....

wonders why girls never ride with me...

...sigh.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2013 13:19:08 BDT
Manxcakegirl says:
'you dont sound like very good riders to me im afraid'.
Check your facts and curb assumptions before you comment my friend. My partner is in the top 100 mountain bikers for the IOM End2End Challenge (Around 60th in fact). Over 1500 riders in all, including Nick Craig riding a 75km course. (http://www.manxe2e.org) I came 3rd in my women's class and 9th over all out nearly 70 women. I also won this year's winter series by a fair margin and would have been selected for the Island Games team in Bermuda had there been a women's race. Like I say, check your facts and don't assume such things. The ride I reviewed is particularly bad. I have been mountain biking (and I do mean mountain biking, not just trundles around forest tracks) for over 25 years and know a good route when I see one. The one in the book was bad.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (10 customer reviews)

15.99 12.43