5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router (edited), 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Personal Computers)
Ok I tend not to give bad reviews unless really needed and I wouldn't say I dislike this router because I don't but I have had problems.

At first everything was working fine , fiddled about to get the feel of how it works.

Wireless is fantastic on this puppy and has a decent range !!! and it even works real good on those cheap android tablets that have poor wireless pickup !!!

Gui was simple and quite easy to navigate and its web access quite easy to use from anywere in the world too!!!

Now for the reason I give this 3 stars !!!! At first everything worked well Usenet downloaded max speed and internet loaded ultra fast !!! but after one day my usenet speed dropped and wouldn't go above 600KBs which is pretty poor compared to I was getting 6MBs !!! I though hey it may have been a setting I hit or changed upon setup and so I tried tweaking about !!! switched QoS on and forwarded the correct port but no go I turned it off but no go still 600Kbs. I thought hey my isp might be having issues and so I plugged my computer direct to modem and low and behold I was getting max speeds 6MBS.

I plugged router back in and reset modem and router so the isp could register the new mac and retried to download but again no go !!! so now I reset the router back to factory default to see if that solved the issue but again only 600KB and so again I fiddled about with every combination of things to do from QoS to disabling plugandplay etc ...

So I thought hey I updated the firmware as a new version was detected at start up , I then decided to flash the modem back to its original factory sent firmware and again no go still only 600KBs , I even loaded a merlin custom firmware too see if that helped but again no.

I tested http downloads and those worked fine , I tested the inbuilt nzb usenet app and that had the same problem.

Anyway I decided enough is enough !!! this is supposed to be an easy fast setup as the box says and so I had to return the router.

It is such ashame because it was an excellent router :( I would have ordered a direct replacement but I am cautious now and tend to not request a direct replacement of the same product , just in case the same happens !! :(

If anyone knows what the problem is or was I would appreciate a reply to my review .

Well after getting a replacement everything works fine :) the problem was hardware error , I thought maybe it was a port error , although yes one port didn't work very well the others did :) but for some reason the failed router was not allowing any ports to pass though.

Now the router works 100% and must say im glad :)

[Add comment]