8 of 9 people found the following review helpful
haven't we played this game before?,
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I didn't really like the first Assassin's Creed because of its repetitive nature, Assassins Creed 2 was a major improvement to the series and one of my favourite games of all time, Assassins Creed Brotherhood (A.K.A- Assassins Creed 2.5) wasn't a great improvement to the series but was still fun. And now Revelations (A.K.A- Assassins Creed 2.75) is out, it is a better improvement than Brotherhood but its mostly the same. Note- I didn't play the multiplayer.
The good stuff:
1. The story is very good, it continues the story of Ezio who is now into his fifties but can still climb buildings, take on a hundred guards and flirt with a 20 year old women. It also continues the story ark about desmond who is in a coma after (SPOILER ALERT) he is he forced to killed his fish liped girlfriend at the end of brotherhood and he has to relive the memories of ezio and altair to get back to his body.
2. The freerunning is still great and is made better with the hookblade (more on that later).
3. The open world of Contantinople is big and full of stuff.
4. You get two new weapons to your arsenal, as if the hidden blade, double hidden blade, poison blade, poison darts, parachute, sword, dagger, crossbow, unarmed combat, throwing knives and a gun wasn't enough. You get to craft bombs (shrapnel, poison, decoy etc) and get a hookblade which allows you to perform more counterkills, ride on zip lines and grab things which are slightly out of Ezio's reach.
5. You can recuit assassins again to do your dirty work for you.
6. You can rebuild buildings and renovate them.
7. There are Desmond missions after you collect a certain amount of data fragments hidden throughout Contantinople, they don't last long as there are 5 in total but are a great addition to the game and the story.
8. You get to play a out of place but well designed tower defense minigame.
9. There is a lot of content throughout the game.
10. Some of the missions are really fun.
The bad stuff:
1. Its still too easy.
2. The lacking enemy AI during the swordfighting can lead to long combat sections as they don't attack straight on.
3. Like brotherhood, some missions started to get really stale and old.
4. Like brotherhood again, the economy is unbalanced. You will still end up with lots of money halfway through the game if you renovate everything.
5. The problem with the plot is that there is not much at stake.
6. Once you recuit assassins you can get them to do all the assassinations for you, taking the fun out of the game.
Once again, like brotherhood, its more of the same but Revelations manages to refine the game while it introduces new content.