1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, to say the least, 25 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Zend Framework, A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Nicely written and on a good paper stock, the book is well presented and certainly looks the part. Unfortunately, it only takes a short while before you start wishing that the author thought about what he was writing. Allow me to explain:
1. there is a "companion website" available for the book, where you can give feedback. Unfortunately, it's not possible to leave feedback because the contact form (which uses CAPTCHA to prevent spam) also prevents everyone from sending messages - because the captcha image doesn't load on the page.
2. Rather than concentrating on developing the reader's skills in Zend Framework (isn't this what the book is about?), the author has decided at a critical point (discussion of the Model framework and the interaction with databases) to use a third party software (Doctrine). In itself that shouldn't be a problem, if the author takes the trouble to tell you (in detail) how to install such a complex and troublesome piece of software; especially as progress past page 100 depends on you getting this working. Unfortunately, he doesn't describe in any detail what to do to get this software up and running (to paraphrase: 'just download it, unpack it, move the [non-existant] bin folder to the include path for php and hey presto, everything is fine'. No, it's not. It doesn't work. There are no error messages and no information on what to do. And the Doctrine website doesn't help either.
3. Some of the code simply doesn't work. In chapter 3, he describes how to include CAPTCHA in a web form. Presumably the same code he uses on his own web site. It doesn't work. Sure, the image is generated and saved in the folder on the server, but it is not generated on the page.

Overall, I'm really disappointed that something that could have been so good has turned out to be a waste of my money and time. I'd love to help Vikram Vaswani make this book better by leaving him feedback. Even that doesn't work.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Aug 2012 10:51:47 BDT
Neil Corke says:
I always go through the examples in these books, as I find this a great way to learn. I did the whole "Square" example in this one and found very few errors. Also contacting the author was very easy (have you heard of Google?). He was so helpful, we hired him to do some work for us!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2013 21:23:50 BDT
typo says:
I'm really pleased that you found the book examples easy to use. I can only refer to my own experience as a Zend Framework beginner (see the title of the book). the "Square" example, in my experience, constantly threw fatal errors, I didn't have the option to install Doctrine and there were no examples of how to use the inherent Zend Framework DB Table model that the book, I think, really *should* have concentrated on.

As for contacting the author. I did contact the publishers, who said they would pass on my comments and ask for a response. None was ever provided. I've since come across other examples of this author's work online that similarly do not work.

Sorry, but I don't think this is really a beginner's book and shouldn't be titled as one. I could probably go back to the examples now and fix the errors and get it working, but frankly, I can't be bothered with something that is so poorly put together in the first place.

I have used other books on beginning ZF and gone through them with no problems. This book however, is not one to start with in my opinion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (9 customer reviews)

Reviewer