3.0 out of 5 stars Really wanted to love this....., 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Vax U89-MAF2-T Air Force 2 Total Home Multicyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
But I don't. I bought this vac from Tesco they were having a half price sale and so I got it for £120.00.

The pluses are plain to see, the suction is great (when it works) and it has a nice long hose for stairs, the cylinder is nice and big and the brush really gets deep into the pile of the carpet.

But that's about where it ends for me. I knew it was going to be heavy having read the reviews on Amazon before I bought it. But I was not prepared for the amount of times I had to take it apart to clean out the little nozzles inside the cyclone unit.
I have 2 great danes, they do not shed a lot and they don't make much mess at all. And I have two reasonably tidy kids(unusual I know). I live in a small cottage, and do not generally have to contend with a lot of dust and dirt on my carpets.
But I ended up having to clean the vacuum out on average every two uses, and that's not as easy as it sounds.

First I have to empty the cylinder, and unscrew the middle part of the machine, so that the top will detach. Then I take the top filter out and give it a gentle pat to remove any dust. It's then a game of hunt the screw driver to remove lots of little screws holding the main cyclone part together. Once done I have to clean out all the little holes. By this time, I am hot bothered and covered in dust and the air in my kitchen is starting to turn blue. The first few times it happened I thought that I might be doing something wrong, and so read and reread the instructions, just in case the general rules of hoover usage had changed since my last purchase. It hasn't.

And now the hoover has stopped working all together, I think the ribbed belt that drives the motor has stretched because as soon as I lower the machine to the carpet, the brushes stop going round and I have to reset whole thing by pressing a tiny red button in a hard to reach place. I have looked on the Vax website to see if they sell a replacement but they don't. So I am now faced with endless phone calls to the company to try and get the darn thing fixed.

I am really disappointed because I think the machine is great at what it does, when it does what it's supposed to. But before it broke I was always waiting/dreading the high pitch hissing sound the machine would issue every couple of times I would use it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Oct 2013 17:54:25 GMT
Davembk says:
Regarding the cyclone holes getting blocked...Some very good news about this:

I got sick and tired of repeatedly taking this apart, 8 screws and having to work in a dust cloud, fishing out from these cyclone holes all that should have ended up in the waste container. The filter became clogged as well after just a few uses.

So I called Vax, They were helpful and sent me a new separator, the biggish part that sits in the waste container and gets unscrewed from above for routine removal/cleaning.

I can only assume that Vax had an idea about this problem, the new black separator looks quite a lot different in design from the old red one, and the machine, touch wood, seems to work properly now. So if you've had this problem as well maybe you too could do worse than calling Vax :-)

Posted on 9 Jul 2014 08:38:19 BDT
D. Blackman says:
I was going to write a review, but you have quite literally taken the words from my mouth. Needing a screwdriver to be able to empty the dust bin is not a brilliant design is it?!
I think you're quite generous giving it three stars, though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›