ARRAY(0xaf8a64bc)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal with a Wienholts Pie, 21 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Weirdstone of Brisingamen (Audio Cassette)
I had the books read to me as a child and rediscovered them in my teens. Garners books are so much better than Potter and unlike Tolkien they actually bring the story into your own world. And despite the at times over flowery prose its so well wriiten that you cant put the books down. And with the audio books, I was able to keep a carful of nephews and nieces quiet all the way from Stockport to Bedfordshire and back a week later. Alderley Edge is a real place and very much part of my own life, I could identify with the characters and to this day I regularly visit Alderley Village buy lunch (try the steak pies) at Wienholts and wander around the edge looking for the places from the book. All we need now is the TV/Movie. My one gripe is that the ending of the second book (Moon of Gomrath) Cries out for a third part, even leaves lots of hints, yet it never came.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jul 2008 23:47:30 BDT
snowman1 says:
I'm with you on the Weinholt steak pies - wonderful! My mouth is watering just thinking about them. Top quality steak, succulent thick rich gravy. And a schlossberg to round it off!
I read Garner's books as a child, and remember them as being excellent, and have wondered how they would fare in the current trend for fantasy - but now in a form where that fantasy is rather sugar-wrapped - and have been recommending them to my partner, so I'm interested to see them still rated so highly. At the time they seemed to bridge the gap between children's books and adult books, which few manage successfully. It is 30 years since I read one, but if I get one for my other half I will certainly re-read it.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2008 23:40:04 GMT
T says:
My mouth is watering too and I don't even know what a Weinholt pie is! I read Weirdstone aged 10 and am re reading it aged 41 - still brilliant.

Posted on 29 May 2010 18:26:32 BDT
Ypres says:
I've read all these reviews, hoping for guidance, but none of them appears to relate to this particular product - the CD reading of 'Weirdstone' by Philip Madoc. Only two relate to audio books at all, as far as I can make out - an out-of-print, cassette tape reading by the actor Robert Powell. Until I can find some reviews of Madoc's reading, therefore, I'm leaving this CD alone.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2010 16:15:02 BDT
I bought the Cassettes by Robert Powell they were excellent, although I suggest you buy the books, theres something about the way they were written that no audio book can quite capture. As for Madocs CD, its fine, not as good as Robert Powell but none the less, well worth it, my kids were entralled when listening to it the first time on a long car journey.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 20:49:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2011 20:49:22 GMT
The reviews for books and audiobooks all get lumped together - that's why some of the reviews won't seem appropriate. The reviews are of the books, not necessarily of a particular edition.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 22:22:06 GMT
Apparently, the third book is looming on the horizon, but it might not be a book for entirely suitable for children. Title: "Boneland". Date: August. The hints suggest the 9-year-olds of today should wait, while the 9-year-olds of 1960 will be rejoicing.

Posted on 16 Oct 2012 02:12:30 BDT
RE: "All we need now is the TV/Movie."
I've been trying for over a decade to get 'Weirdstone' turned into TV serial but to no avail. Mr. Garner was apparently so upset and disappointed with the adaptation of 'The Owl Service' that he vowed to never let anyone to adapt his books for TV again. I genuinely feel these books would make a phenomenal and unforgettable children's drama series and would work significantly better on TV than on the 'big screen'. A few production companies have tried to work the story into a film (any book with Wizards in was snapped up in a media buying frenzy after the success of a certain Harry Potter) but none have succeeded (again, because I feel they would make much better series than movies). Still hoping that they will be adapted one day, however. I'll keep my fingers crossed...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (102 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 2.20