3.0 out of 5 stars Can fleas become immune to frontline??, 25 Feb. 2011
I am putting this feedback up having had a long battle with fleas with a cat that brought them with her as a kitten when we bought her.

After 18 months of carefully applying Frontline at no more than 3 week intervals and also using a whole range of other sprays, smoke bombs, hoovering etc around the house, it finally started to occur to us that although the hoovering and sprays etc were reducing the numbers a little, the Frontline was not having any effect - to the point that after 24 hours, 48 hours, 1 week, 3 weeks etc after applying it there was no apparent reduction in the number of fleas on the cat. I was combing her head to toe every day and there was simply no reduction - 20-40 fleas each day regardless of when the Frontline was applied.

The cat does not go out of the house (urban location, her choice, doesn't seem very interested in the concrete yard outside) and there are no other animals in the house so there is absolutely no way there is an external source of fleas.

Having read that it was not possible for fleas to be immune to Frontline, we persevered, but finally two weeks ago concluded that there must be an immunity.

I have now obtained another, very similar product which can be bought online from the USA or Australia at approximately the same price as Frontline. I won't identify the brand, its not that difficult to work out, and I don't wish for this review to be mistaken for a marketing ploy. It has a different active ingredient but is applied exactly the same way. Two weeks on, I have been combing her every day but have yet to find a single flea.

I am sure Frontline will work well in the majority of cases but this is such a clear cut case demonstrating that some sort of immunity must be possible, that I wanted to post this review to help others with what can be a very frustrating problem.

Mike, Plymouth, UK

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 May 2011 23:27:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2011 23:33:36 BDT
C.B. says:
Honestly, I don't know why I cannot find it in the UK(I am a US Expat), but Frontline Plus is the one that works, not Frontline Spot On. I bought Spot on and had no clue why it didn't work, until I figured out that it was not the same as the Frontline that I used in the US. I am sure the other product you bought from the US or Australia is is similar to Frontline Plus(different brand of course). It's the same with the flea powders for the carpets as well, I cannot get the ones that work and kill the flea eggs over here. I just import Frontline Plus now. There is a reason you had to import it, you can't get what really gets rid of the fleas over here. The fact that it does not list that it gets rid of the eggs is a big issue, a flea treatment should get rid of all stages.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2011 19:39:57 BDT
Jayson Lear says:
Can I ask how you get in imported, as when I have just tried to order this off Amazon.com they say that it cannot be sent to my address? I too have the same issue as other posters in that Frontline spot on does not get rid of the fleas, so really interested to find something that does.

There is a Frontline Plus that you can get in the UK but not sure if it does the same as the one from USA?

Many thanks Maggie

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2011 20:37:25 BDT
SteveB says:
It looks like another name for "Frontline Plus" is "Frontline Combo". Check for yourself, but it looks like both products have the same active ingredients: 9.8% Fipronil & 11.8% (S)-Methoprene.

Posted on 29 Sep 2011 18:12:51 BDT
Julie Lee says:
Frontline was brilliant for my cats for a while but they do seem to have become immune - wish you'd tell us what the other product is called!

Posted on 16 Oct 2011 22:50:39 BDT
I'M having a really hard time with my kitty with fleas I have de flea him loads and they are just coming back.It's hard as he wants hugs all the time which I do give him but seeing them all round his face dose put me off. any top tips? I've been using bob martins so far I was going to buy this but now Im not so sure

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 21:15:14 GMT
You should try advantage after you have tried frontline. most cats become immune to frontline after a few months.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 11:20:18 GMT
Phil L. says:
I believe Mike has hit the nail on the head with his comments......Along with a number of the "one star" reviewers.
It does SEEM that Frontline has lost its potency in certain cases....I've used it in the past with great success...But the last couple of times, it hasn't been nearly as efficient as it has been in the past.
It MUST do some good...Otherwise, with four dogs and five cats (all frontlined with the appropriate doses at the same time) we'd be having to call in a professional service to 'do' the whole house and that's never been the case.

We tend to use both a 'spot on', individual animal treatment.....PLUS a house spray when necessary....The house/furniture/animal bedding sprays tend, in most cases, to work VERY well.....Though in one particular instance we did have one of a recognized (by the vets, as SO many people complained "This doesn't work !") batch that was 'faulty'.

If bacteria can become immune to 'human' anti biotics...Fleas will, I'm sure, evolve/mutate to resist certain chemicals...Probably the only thing to do is change your flea treatment to a different brand every so often.

I know that horse vets recommend using different brand 'wormers' every so often to KO worm problems, as THOSE parasites can 'evolve' to resist one particular brand.

Must be the same with those lovely little 'jumpers'.

As far as all these reviews are concerned....It might be interesting (and useful) for people to put down (very roughly) in which area they live....We might learn which areas are starting to get a tolerance, and to which brands.

WE live in SW Wales.....OUR fleas aren't so affected by Frontline as they used to be....Hope this helps !

Cheers - Phil.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2011 17:26:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2011 17:30:40 GMT
J. Watts says:
Today I visited the vet following a very unpleasant christmas being bitten by fleas.
Both of my elderly cats,my partner and I have bitten.my cats had been treated with frontline spot on (purchased from the vet)every 4weeks for years and it has proved to be no longer effective.
The vet no longer supplies frontline spot on for cats at all.The vetenary nurse told me that the problems appear to have started when frontline spot on for cats stopped being a prescription only medication.
We are now using stronghold by Pfizer-only started today so cant say how it is but by jingo hope it works.
Regards JW

Posted on 31 Dec 2011 21:44:13 GMT
ENGLISH100 says:
Thanks, read with interest, as Ive had one hell of year with fleas. I smiled at your efforts to kill the buggers, as I too have done everything. I now buy frontline from vets, which is not available on market, so it must be stronger than this one on amazon. Myonly concern with overseas medication is that there are some chemicals not authorised by uk vets. You have probably done a check already, if not please check with your vet just in case. Yvonne

Posted on 5 Sep 2012 11:47:13 BDT
Jayne says:
Wow that's rotten for you! I have just reviewed Spot On as it possibly saved a kitten's life so I guess I was lucky. I am just glad it worked. I have been using it for a few years now with much sucess, so perhaps it depends on the breed of flea or like you say they build some kind of immunity to it? I don't know what it could be. I do know there is the professional version which is much more hard-hitting and I would try it if my local fleas became immune to Spot On. One of my cats does go out and we have one helluva flea problem outside as there is a huge colony of stray cats where we live. I am feeling itchy now! I hate fleas because they love to bite my calves. I hope we don't get an infestation because it's not easy getting it under control. I do use a 'professional' household spray along with the Spot On though so that might be working well. Can't remember the name of it though. It's good that the reviews on here are balanced as nothing works 100% the same for 100% of the people. Different results can only be expected.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›