3.0 out of 5 stars 1* or 5*? best give it a 3* then., 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (Kindle Edition)
OK here goes.

I never used to be a great reader, perhaps one or 2 books a year, then I got the Paperwhite, now I'm hooked. I've always been interested in history especially WWII so I bought this, "despite" the reviews.

It was certainly the longest book I'd ever read. I wouldn't have attempted it in book form.

Other reviewers refer this as excellent and drivel, well, in my opinion, it's both, hence the 3* rating. Save me writing "in my opinion" loads of times, I've just said it so all further statements are "in my opinion".

Factually excellent, Shirer was there, he had close links to the action, he admits being taken in by the events and the rhetoric of the Nazi at the time, his contemporary writing is different to his post recollections.

He does come across as a Victorian "old school professor" writer and I was close to giving up on him a few times, then, luckily something interesting reappears. He ask the reader questions as apposed to asking the reader to think. He assumes, as somebody else noted, that the reader speaks or understands German. In the early stages, the odd German phrase is translated, or one can guess at, other words he arrogantly throws in expecting you to know them.

I do take issue with the reviewers who slam this book saying the massacre of the Jews wasn't covered enough or "there was only one chapter" regrading the extermination and mal-treatment of the ethnics. This book is about the rise and fall of the Third Reich, there are hundreds of books covering this the Holocaust etc. Personally, I think this subject shows him at his most eloquent.

It was written in the style of it's time. It took me a long time to read it, I'm glad I did. He'd make a great professor on the subject, but as an author, he gets a 3*

[Add comment]