5.0 out of 5 stars The eating and exercise principles of this book changed my life!, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Kindle Edition)
I purchased Dr Briffa's previous book, Waist Disposal, in January 2011. I was approaching 40, had developed an impressive middle aged spread (which somehow I managed to disguise by virtue of the fact I didn't put much weight on my face!) and had tried several times over the previous years to lose a stone (I weighed about 16st, 1 stone was not exactly ambitious). I tried the Low GI diet, I tried Atkins, I even tried the cabbage soup diet! I ramped up my exercising, and all that happened was I'd lose a few pounds in the first few weeks, then eventually put it back on, with the added bonus of some additional pounds. So I entered 2011 determined to give it one more go for the sake of my health.

Waist Disposal interested me because it seemed aimed at blokes like me. All the principles laid out in Waist Disposal are captured in Dr Briffa's new book, Escape The Diet Trap, with the latter providing more detail, more up to date evidence, and some new ideas. It's like Waist Disposal on steroids.

All I can say about Dr Briffa's principles is they work. They really really work. I write this review 12 months on from following them, and I have lost 3 stone. I look and feel fantastic. Not only have I lost weight, but I sleep better and genuinely feel healthier. I used to take headache pills once or twice a week before - now once every couple of months. The upshot of all this is that I am happier. You can't underestimate how your feelings of self esteem and happiness improve as you see yourself lose weight and become healthier, simply because you changed your eating habits. I don't consider Dr Briffa's principles a diet, that word suggests it is a temporary state, a fad - for me it's been about a lifestyle change in what and how I eat. And unlike previous attempts to shift weight, a year on I've still kept it off.

And it's not just me - my wife followed these principles, and over the last year she had lost 2 stone! What makes that particularly impressive is that she was 9st 5 to start with, so not exactly heavy, she's petite, and yet she now weighs 7 st 5. And our success has inspired many of my friends to follow Dr Briffa's principles, and they too have seen great results.

So hopefully I have provided some evidence based on my own personal experience that Dr Briffa's principles work. What about Escape the Diet Trap as a book? As I mentioned earlier, it's like Waist Disposal on steroids. It's wonderfully written and structured so that you can read it end to end, or you can pick and choose the section you're interested in. There are good summaries and recaps in each chapter and a final synposis, so it's easy to revisit bits. But most importantly, all the principles and ideas in the book are underpinned by scientific evidence, all of which can be referenced. What is genuinely shocking about the conventional advice on nutrition given to us by the Health Authorities is the really flaky basis on which it is based - our current consumption of simple carbohydrates such as white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sugary products, is storing up a load of problems for us in later life. When you think about the fundamental premise of this book, that from an evolutionary perspective we are unchanged in millions of years, then our bodies are designed around the diet of hunter gatherers, a primal diet if you like, it then makes complete sense that a diet based on food which entered our diets only 10,000 years ago, such as grains and sugar, cannot be good for our bodies if we consume carbs to the extent we are told we should.

Waist Disposal really got me interested in the whole area of nutrition, and particuarly the carbohydrate fallacy, so I read lots of other books. Having read Escape The Diet Trap, Dr Briffa has actually added some new content, capturing many of the ideas I'd also seen elsewhere (e.g. how to deal with plateaus, how intermittent fasting can help with fat loss). So in Escape The Diet Trap, Dr Briffa has created to my mind an excellent single source on this whole area. If you buy only one book on "diet", then buy this one. Dr Briffa's ideas changed my and my wife's lives.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Nov 2012 12:30:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Nov 2012 12:34:27 GMT

Posted on 4 Jun 2014 11:17:26 BDT
Book Worm says:
I loved your review of the book. I have followed the basic principles for 3 months and whilst not large myself have gone from a size 12 to a size 10 and am near my wedding weight of 14 years ago, so I wholeheartedly support Dr Briffa's principles in the book. Not only have I lost weight, but I have done it easily and it does make me question why we have an obesity epidemic if it is so easy to follow the principles in Dr Briffa's book.
Well done on such a comprehensive review. You and your wife are living proof that this way of eating really does work!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2014 12:24:06 BDT
M. Mortali says:
Thanks for that - very kind of you to say. If I can add, it's been over 3 years since I started following the principles in this book and I continue to keep the weight off, so it works long term too! Well done!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2014 13:11:41 BDT
Dr Reader

It seems either you have not read the book, or have studiously ignored the science (all fully referenced) in the book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (177 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist