4.0 out of 5 stars This is not just diet food...it's delicious diet food!, 20 Aug 2007
This review is from: Cook Yourself Thin: The Delicious Way to Drop a dress Size (Paperback)
I have tried the following recipes from the book - healthy roast chicken - so gorgeous I couldn't eat it fast enough!, prawn risotto - another great flavour filled dish and easy to do. I can't stand parmesan so to find a risotto recipe without it is heaven! Also the french beans with ginger & sesame (I added some pak choi too)is a great alternative to boiled veg! I can't wait to get stuck into most of the other recipes. The fab four have given me loads of ideas for lunches to take to work - a change from boring old sarnies & pasta salad.

I have read the book from cover to cover & I have never seen a diet book that gives you alternatives to calorie laden foods before.

The recipes do not exlude any food groups so really does embrace the true meaning of the word "diet" - nourishment.

The quiz to find your food personality was fun (although some of the options to the questions didn't seem relevant to me) - and I feel accurate in my case (comfort eater). The book also mentions exercise - although not over the top about it and the other sections are useful and colourful & easy to read. The prose is never patronizing and doesn't blind you with science. There are no obscure weird food (i.e. goji berries!) and the food is relatively quick to prep and cook - even if you are not an experienced cook. There is nothing too fancy clancy or complicated.

Please Note: The Lemon & Almond cake from Programme 3 is NOT in this book. You will need to get the recipe from the Channel 4 website.

From the recipes I have seen I would say the ingredients are readily available & easy to get hold of (not sure about getting hold of venison from the local supermarket in downtown Walsall though!). I don't really want to trawl several health food shops trying to track down buckwheat groats (Gillian McKeith take note!).

The calorie guide is really useful too and not obsessive.

I do have a couple of criticisms. The main one is,if this is a diet book then surely the majority of the recipes should have been for 1, not 2. I have had to guess the cooking time for the chicken (I did a leg of chicken) and risotto. The recipes are delicious so if you did cook them for someone else I am sure they would not complain, but generally when you buy a "diet" book it is for your own use.

I would have liked some tips on freezing some of the meals or some freezer friendly ideas. Some of the ingredients appear to be expensive, and there are quite a few recipes that include alcohol (granted in small doses.) Also, on the tv programme the ladies visit supermarkets to show which snack foods you can pick up from the supermarket for fewer calories, but this useful section of the show is not included in the book.

Gas marks would be useful too for those of us with gas ovens.

I would actually have liked to have given 4.5 stars, but that isn't an option. I can see that I will get a lot of use from this great book. The recipes are so full of flavour & the tips are also useful. I will not be eating exclusively from it, so will not be testing the tagline of "drop a dress size" but it has given me so many new and delicious ideas. The food is healthy but you won't feel as if you are missing out or depriving yourself of anything. Diet food has never been such fun! Enjoy!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]