2.0 out of 5 stars This Book Might Motivate You to Spend Your Money Better Next Time, 2 April 2012
This review is from: The Sixty-Second Motivator (Paperback)
The Sixty-Second Motivator (2006) is the first book I've come across since I've started reviewing books that I've had mixed thoughts about. Honestly, the book has a lot going for it, and I would probably give it to a friend to read, but I don't suggest you spend your hard earned money on it when there is better information available on the internet for FREE.

In a nutshell, the book is in the form of a short story about a young physical therapy student who wants to know how to motivate his patients to move around and stuff. He hears about this legendary therapist known as `the sixty-second motivator', earned from his reputation in having the ability to motivate anyone to do anything in exactly one minute or less. Young student meets legendary therapist, and then the rest of the book follows the two as the therapist attempts to motivate old people to walk around, while the young whippersnapper marvels in his glory. Oh, and it's a very quick read too, with about 10 or 20 pages of information spread out to about 80 thanks to it's big text - a trick we all learned in primary school.

"Well, let's just say at this point I have some good news and some bad news. Which do you want first?"
"Oh boy," said the patient. "I guess give me the bad news first." (p. 53)

In light of the above quote from the book in question, I will begin this review by outlining my disappointments before I branch out into it's strengths. Naturally we like to hear our news in this order, so I will comply. Funnily enough, the book's first weakness could also be considered by some to be it's strength - the book is too simple in it's exploration of a very complex subject such as motivation. Rather than explain the underlying reasons why we become motivated to make a change, the book instead hammers two basic methods for motivating people, and never really explains why the motivation occurs in the first place. Firstly, you should know that the book's definition of motivation is as follows:

"Motivation can be thought of as how ready a person is to change. Therefore: A highly motivated is very ready to change. While a poorly motivated person is not ready to change."

Pretty simple right? Well get used to it, as that's about as tech as this book gets.

The book stresses that only two things are necessary in order to motivate someone to do something, they are:

Importance - increasing importance of changing a behaviour creates more motivation.
Confidence - increasing your confidence that you can change a behaviour creates more motivation.

Ok, fair enough. The next problem with the book is that it uses poor examples of how this can be used to motivate a person. Seeing as the author is a physical therapist, all of his examples pretty much revolve around old men and women who don't want to do their exercises. It is difficult to apply these scenarios to more realistic situations where one would need to be motivated, and honestly, the book doesn't offer the reader any motivation to try and modify the examples to fit their own. The next problem I have with this book is the editing, I know this won't be a problem for many of you, so I won't stress it, but I found a lot of grammatical errors and places where the flow of the writing was affected by poor choice of words; it was as though a child had written the book for a school project, and had never read it twice to make sure it was up to standard. Considering how short the book is, and the fact that it is asking people to pay money to read it, there is no excuse and it loses points in my book. If I was marking this book as a school assignment, I'd probably give it an F for editing.

Another problem I have with the book is it's lack of research. The writer makes almost no effort to produce any research to back up his findings. There is one stage in the book where the protagonist looks up some psychological databases on the computer and finds a really crappy experiment where smokers are assigned to two groups, one group is told to quit smoking as it's bad for their health (which they obviously already knew), while the other group is motivated by professionals to quit. They follow up a year later and find the smokers in the second group has a higher quit ratio than the first group. Well duh. I could log into a psychological database right now and dig up some research which is more interesting, more important, and less obvious in sixty seconds. Again this drives home the point for me that the author is lazy and hasn't done his homework. The end of the book even includes a reference page which contains no more than 5 references... This is pretty weak, considering that in first year psychology we had to provide more references than that for even a short 500 word summary on a subject such as motivation.

The last problem I had was it's focus on motivating others and it's almost total lack of information on how to motivate yourself, which is the reason, I imagine, most people are buying this book. Not a big assumption to make considering

1 . It's a self-help book.
2 . The cover states clearly: `How To Motivate Yourself To Do Anything'
3 . The cover boasts that it is `A Book That Will Change Your Life!'

The only effort the book makes at applying the lessons learnt to motivating yourself is a single page at the end of the book which provides a checklist of obvious questions to ask yourself, such as `what would it be like if you reached your goal?'. If you don't already know how to ask yourself questions like that, then you don't need a book on motivation, you need a new brain.

Finally, I arrive at the book's strengths. Phew!

1. The book is short. So short in fact I read it in one sitting, half of which occurred on the toilet, the other half on a chair outside while I smoked a cigarette. No, I didn't find myself motivated to quit after reading this book.
2. The book is written in a short story format, which makes it easy to read and a lot more engaging than your average self-help book.
3. The text on the page is nicely laid out, a good sized font that is well spaced - easy on the eyes.
4. The book is short, oh wait, I said that already.

If this book were a pamphlet that you could get for free at the doctor's office, then I would have nothing but praise for it, but seeing as how it attempts to pass off as a well researched and clever book on motivation, that is also deserving of your money, I can't justify it at all.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Dec 2012 02:57:09 GMT
Sean says:
I can't take any review seriously that puts this much time and effort into trashing a book and posts it on other internet sites.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 05:10:54 GMT
It is not my problem whether you can take my review seriously or not. I write book reviews on my website (endofthegame(dot)net/bookreviews) and get no money for doing so whatsoever, I also post those reviews on amazon so they get a wider audience and help others come to a decision of whether or not to pick up a book. If you look at my other reviews either on my site or on amazon you will see that I go to just as much effort to praise books that I enjoy reading, and I am in no way trashing this one. Sure I gave it a bad review but I specifically stated the exact reasons for why it didn't meet my expectations and even outlined some of its good points. Trashing a book is straight up calling a book bad without any justification behind it, which I have not done. The reason I wrote this review in the first place was because of how overrated it is. Buy the book, read it, and if you still don't agree with my review then pretend you never read it in the first place and continue on with your life.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2013 09:26:28 BDT
Sunflower888 says:
I thought your long review was very insightful, balanced and humorous. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (8 customer reviews)

Reviewer

Location: Melbourne, Victoria (AUS)