1.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true? YES!, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Beethoven: 9 Symphonies; Overtures (Audio CD)
I could not believe the write up of this product and should have went with my first impression: Usually, if it seems too good to be true, it is.
Probably the best recordings of the 'Nine' - ever + Overtures by Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonikar. I was so looking forward to this only to be badly disappointed. It was well packaged; a very convincing copy of the box and the insert, BUT the disks and their covers were so obviously not real.
I gave the 3rd Symphony a try and it was a little less than OK. The 5th was all over the place. The 1st movement was followed by the first recapitulation of the finale and then the third movement followed by the second.
There is only one reason for this mess up.....Have you ever made a play-list in Windows Media Player and then burned it to disk? If you have then you will know that each track is obviously separate from the whole - one movement does not flow into the next, there is a clear and measurable 'break' which totally ruins the Symphony. If you do not sit and attend to the burning process the play list can get muddled and that is what happened here.
Complete rubbish and not worth the postage [Dodax send it FREE].
That is not the end of the saga though.
I quite rightly complained and was assured that as soon as I sent it back I would get a full refund. I promptly went to the Post Office and, because it is important one KNOWS the rubbish stuff gets back to the villains who sell it, I paid 3.65 Recorded Delivery.
Over two weeks later I had still not received my refund so I contacted them again. They apologized for the 'oversight', making some half-baked excuse about the time of year and promising to deal with it. I reminded them I required the cost of postage refunded in full as well and attached a copy of my proof of postage. Almost a week later I was informed by Amazon that I would be refunded thus: 14.50 for the Box Set and 1.26 for the 'shipping'. Ridiculous and very, very dishonest.
All in all it has cost me 2.39 and a lot of grief to listen to a very poor imitation of what should have been a moving and exhilarating listening experience.
Disappointment and disgust do not adequately sum up how I feel about Dodax.
Stay away from them.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]