5.0 out of 5 stars Consider this before. Buying TomTom, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 3598LMT-D 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Digital Traffic Alerts, Bluetooth with Magnetic Mount (Electronics)
I have purchased tom tom for over 20 years however although the HD traffic is good be aware! The availability of the service is appalling. After being asked by Tom Tom to renew my subscription (50 quid) I thought it was time to ditch them and try Garmin. This is an excellent product, the quality is much better than tom tom and the traffic uses the RDS traffic system. However if you do want to link to the live traffic through your phone the subscription is much cheaper although you do need to use your phones data service.

The product looks and feels like an apple product such is the finish and the screen is much better than rival tom tom devices. It's less bulky although the traffic receiver is external to the device (but very small and built into the wire).

The traffic options for Garmin are confusing there are three different options one is traffic via the FM, one is via the DAB frequency and one is via a smart phone (Internet link). The difference between the FM and DAB is the speed of the transmission DAB is every 30 seconds and FM is every 1-2 minutes. The smart link (phone) system is live.

I think I am a convert, it's a shame tom tom provide such a poor service, I doubt they would provide their service availability stats but trust me they are very poor - just read the other reviews here.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Apr 2014 21:39:15 BDT
Rob Paul says:
Tomtom havn't been producing Sat Navs for 20 years? 12 years max.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 22:00:46 BDT
S. E. Cook says:
Correct my post should have read 10 years. Not sure satnavs existed 20 years ago.

Posted on 3 May 2014 08:17:01 BDT
Scampo says:
I almost went your route and bought this Garmin, but then read such a poor comparison of the two traffic systems that I decided to stay with TomTom and pay up the £45.00 for the Live services. My TomTom 1000 serves me well and I can only effuse about the truly high quality TomTom support over the years. Have you found the Garmin Traffic system as good as TomTom Live? As I say, the reviews that I read slated it - to my surprise, I have to say.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2014 08:36:12 BDT
S. E. Cook says:
No I'm afraid to say its not as good as TomTom however, for the price and the amount of time it's down I don't believe TomTom is value for money.

Posted on 26 May 2014 07:44:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2014 07:45:40 BDT
I was charged 3 times for the same service package by TomTom. A total of £150. They were almost impossible to contact, arrogant, ill -informed and rude. It took me 6 months to get my overpayment back. I will never buy another product from TomTom and I have bought a Garmin this time.
There is no reason to buy TomTom.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›