1.0 out of 5 stars Yes The Dust / Oil Spots Issues Are Well & Truly Still Present, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCD (Electronics)
OK, so you've done your research and you have decided it's now over a year since these dust / oil on the sensor issues were everywhere, besides there's got to be a chance that Nikon have sorted it and you're bound to get a body with this issue now gone. Or you feel well, my DSLR's all suffer from dust on the sensor and I'll just learn to clean it or blow it off. Or you think I shoot at large apertures anyway so what's the big deal?

I thought of all these points and have gone through 5 bodies and each one after a few shutter actuations showed spots/dust (some of which I did manage to blow off using the Giottos Rocket Blower). So I thought OK I can live with this, I shoot wide open anyway, and what's the most I stop down to? F11, F8 (before diffraction starts to become an issue) so let's see what the problem is like at F8 to F11. Sadly and disappointingly spots do appear and they are noticeable. What is so annoying is that these spots are from particles which must be coming from the shutter box as I have done all the tests which I won't bother to describe here. For those who say stop doing tests and enjoy the camera or stop being technical and shoot some pictures don't seem to grasp the basic concept - if all other Nikon camera's don't display this problem and this one does, then it is a problem. I do need to stop down to about F11 now and then and this camera cannot be trusted to "not draw out particles" which land on the sensor which at any moment can ruin your images.

This camera is almost perfect if not for this issue. OK it's true the D7100 has a bigger and better AF array and that's just silly as it has a smaller sensor. But hey Nikon need to protect their high end Pro range market. What I can't believe is that I am wasting time even writing about this dust/oil issue. I never write reviews, but I feel Nikon bank on people hopefully not having time for this and hence haven't bothered to deal with it. In fact so many corporations now bank on customers not having the time to complain, or to return items or wanting to waste money on expensive complaint lines that they just don't bother with customer service like they should or once did.

Amazon on the other hand - they are absolutely the best. I would buy everything from here if I could, they truly are the best e-tailer. Anyone saying otherwise I suspect is probably hired by competitors (and on that note - no I don't work for Canon or Sony or anyone else).

Anyway it is with great sadness that I have returned these cameras and yes nothing can beat Full Frame performance. Also for me there are 2 prerequisites that make this camera almost perfect, 2 Memory card slots of the same kind, and a built in flash which can also act as a commander for advanced remote flash lighting or even as a simple slave trigger. There is no camera on the market which offers this except this one. Plus when it comes to low light photography this camera is simply the best - no competition (well except for the Nikon D3S).

So at the moment I'm having to get some more life out of my pair of D700's and D7000. I may even buy this again later if I learn that there's a chance Nikon may have sorted this problem as I love this camera, it's gorgeous in every respect, the images that come straight out of the camera (JPEGs) are sublime. I can uninstall Photoshop...!!

If anyone has any questions please "comment" and I will answer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Apr 2014 09:45:07 BDT
A fair review. We love Nikon DSLRs when they work but Nikon have form on the oil spotting issue. A fair number of D7000s suffered with the same issue, including one I bought from Amazon. Amazon took it back without hesitation but before I packed it up I stopped the camera down and shot a blank piece of paper. The array of grey smudges seen at wide aperture resolved into neat circular blobs, some with rings. Not dust but oil. I posted this image on Flickr and it is about to pass 40000 hits due to renewed interest from D600 users. Also, the stories started pouring in; people who had not bought from Amazon were often confronted with the task of getting the camera fixed by sceptical (and often downright unhelpful) Nikon service centres. Meanwhile I was getting trolled by fanatical Nikonians who could not accept that any Nikon product was less than perfect. I could not get them to accept that it was not dust but oil and that sensor cleaning was pointless if the oil just kept returning. Nikon never admitted there was a problem with the D7000 so the D600 issue was marginally better handled. It does no manufacturer any good to produce a faulty product and then try to bury the problem through denial and bloody-mindedness. They came very close to losing me to Canon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (66 customer reviews)

1,799.99 1,050.00