5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, but remember it WAS 1973!, 30 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
I was never a devoted Uriah Heep fan, Deep Purple were my number one band throughout the 70s. But I do love this album. My favourite Heep album was definitely Sweet Freedom though, released shortly after this.
I bought it on vinyl in about 1976 (when I started work), and this remaster sounds great.
I am not particularly interested in alternative versions, mixes, outtakes etc, but I love to hear good music properly remastered to do it justice on CD.
For me, this was the CLASSIC Heep line-up. Byron's vocals are excellent and he was a great frontman, and Gary Thain was one of the outstanding rock-bassists of his generation - sadly lost to a drugs-death (heroin I think) all too early in his life.
Great versions of all their classics of the time, and a good quality recording - for me one of the great rock live albums (in terms of content, energy, and recording quality) - up their with Purple's Made in Japan and Thin Lizzy, Live and Kicking.

Now, remember this was 1973 - the rock'n'roll medley was almost obligatory for many bands in their live shows, and Heep include one here. Imagine you are in the audience as a 14-18 year old........not a middle aged mortgage paying misery listening on his computer. It was a bit of fun, and still included some good playing and interplay between the band members. Thankfully absent are any 15 minute drum solos, extended improvisation "noise poems" on guitar etc etc that also seemed to be a feature of many live shows around that time.

As I write this review, I am actually listning to "Sweet Freedom" on my computer, via headphones, and waiting for my wife to go out - so I can fire up the stereo and relive my teenage air-guitar years in the living room.

I love this album as much now as I did when I first heard it all those yeears ago. It is a must buy!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jul 2010 21:56:24 BDT
Mr. Hilpert says:
I think this box set is a rip off.You have 19 tracks on first disc but realy only 11 as the rest is a melody as said.Cant believe they not play the whole of Magicians Birthday which is one off there classics.Disc two there are only two different songs the rest are all the same again .Have most of these on vinyl but was nice to here them on disc.I just think this should haave been released as one disc thats all.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2010 09:42:58 BDT
Colin says:
I dont really think it is a "rip-off", £10 for a reamaster of a classic 70s vinyl album is not too unreasonable. However, as with many of these remastered sets, I will not be playing the second CD to hear alternative edits and versions of the tracks.
I would certainly prefer them to simply remaster the original album for CD and leave it at that. After all, the alternative versions were not felt to be good enough to released by the band at the time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›