The best debut album of all time,
This review is from: Mariah Carey (Audio CD)
The debut album of Mariah Carey, the one that launched one of the greatest music careers in history, it is truly a masterpiece in every way, incredible vocals, great songs, writing and production in general, she let everybody know she was here to stay for many, many years.
I'll make a track by track review:
1. Vision Of Love: Her first single, an incredible song to start an amazing album, incredible vocals and the first whistle of her career, surprising to anyone that hears it for the first time. Great lyrics and an amazingly created song, it doesn't use the regular formula Verse Chorus Verse... it breaks barriers. It won a grammy and was nominated for some others so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this way. 10/10
2. There's Got To Be A Way: Definitely one of my favorites from all of her songs, she takes on a topic not very regular for her: the issues of the world, she said once she prefers to talk about love and other stuff because those problems shouldn't be reminded, I agree with her on that (although I also enjoy listening to other artists like Shakira or U2 when they do social comments, especially Shakira's metaphors). To comment on the musical field, I think it is a great track with outstanding vocals like the belted notes and that really high whistle that fits very well with the whole anger and desperation she feels for the hungry children, bigotry and other concerning issues. 10/10
3. I Don't Wanna Cry: Another one of my favorites, very strong track, the first one without whistling and it really doesn't need it, nice lyrics and the vocals are really good, she goes low and high with all the belting. The music is also really good and it's the kind of song you may want to skip but I advise you not to, because you'll be missing on a lot. 10/10
4. Someday: A great uptempo track, very nice and enjoyable beat, nice lyrics, it is very well written and tells a story some people might relate to which is good. Vocally is one of the album's strongest and that whistle at the end really is one of the best throughout her whole career, you'll definitely remember it. Strong song overall. 10/10
5. Vanishing: Produced by Mariah, this piano ballad is definitely a key moment in the album, incredibly good vocals and very deep lyrics, this is one of her best songs overall and kind of a signature song in some way, the whistle in the background is very good and all the runs fit perfectly. Amazing musical piece. 10/10
6. All In Your Mind: This is a really good song, nice and even funny lyrics and musically addictive, another thing this song has that everyone remembers it for is the whistling at the end of it, it's very surprising and really good and high. Really good track! 10/10
7. Alone In Love: Well this is not the best track in the album, it definitely needs a few listens before one can "dig it", it is actually well produced, has good lyrics and great vocals but it doesn't live up to the first six (6) tracks that preceeded it because they were incredibly amazing. Overall nice. 9/10
8. You Need Me: This is a very good song, the start is really good with the guitar and it has a nice beat, good lyrics and impressive vocals, even a whistle note at the very end (those are never bad to have). It may seem as kind of a "filler" but I think it goes very well with the rest of the album. 10/10
9. Sent From Up Above: It has a nice concept and the beginning of it is really good, it features nice lyrics and obviously awesome vocals (something really unnecessary to say when referring to Mariah Carey's work). It may also come as a filler but it is very enjoyable and also flows with the other songs. 10/10
10. Prisoner: Definitely one of my favorite songs if not my favorite of her whole career. This song has everything: incredible vocals, awesome lyrics, an incredible production and even some rapping which is great as well (and also very funny). 11/10
11. Love Takes Time: Amazing way to close such an incredible work of art, very good lyrics, awesome vocals and it is musically great, the whistle in the background after the bridge is necessary to make this song perfect and flawless as the album itself, very good.10/10
Well the overall grade is obviously 10/10. This is in my opinion Mariah Carey's best work of her career, all the songs flow incredibly and the vocals are simply perfect and outstanding, this is an album everyone should own. You'll never regret buying it. Complete masterpiece.