1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., 1 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Vegetarian Nosh for Students: A Fun Student Cookbook - See Every Recipe in Full Colour - 30% More Recipes Than Previous Edition. VEGETARIAN SOCIETY APPROVED (Paperback)
Being a vegetarian student I thought a book like this might come in use. It doesn't.

If you want a book with complicated and expensive recipes, you're in luck. The main reason I got the book, for its weekly food planner is just useless. It gives you a shopping list of what you'll need to buy for the week ahead and even an estimated price. How awesome is that? So off I trot to the supermarket, shopping list in hand. I buy everything (more expensive as I'm only buying one pepper instead of going to a market and buying 6 for the same price) and get home and can't wait to start cooking. Only problem is that I don't have half the ingredients. So off I go to buy the missing ingredients, spending yet again more money. I finally cook a recipe and what I end up with is a very small meal that is meant to last me two days. No chance. Oh and I was still missing ingredients.

The printers of the book are outright liars, trying to make it appear that its cheap meals that taste nice, whereas they just don't include half the stuff you actually need.

After all, aren't students all about saving money?

Don't waste your money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Feb 2012 14:15:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Feb 2012 14:16:08 GMT
Tim May says:
Dear Dan,

We are very sorry to read that you have had some problems with our book. Upon reading your review we have been through the book to check the shopping lists, it would seem that we have made a mistake with one as we have missed some ingredients. For that we are very sorry. We will rectify the mistake for our next print run. We would like to point out that after checking all the other samples menus, we have found they are still ok to use.

We have tried our hardest to make the costings for our recipes as accurate as possible. We took an average across Tesco and Sainsburys at the time of writing the book, for example we even calculate how much 1 teaspoon of freeze dried basil costs and include that in the pricing. We have also promised to update these prices (as we all know food costs are going up) every time we do a print run. We know that nobody else provides actual costings for their recipes and we also know that it is never going to be perfect but we feel that it is a great tool for helping people budget while they are at university.

Here at the Nosh kitchen we motivated by getting people cooking with real ingredients and avoiding ready made meals. We believe that it not only tastes better but it saves money in the long run. We have recipes for when you are a bit short of cash in our "broke but hungry" section and a few that cost a little more for when you are feeling a little more flush. Having said that our average cost for a recipe is £1.28 per person. Now, we think that is pretty good.

We do have to take issue with being branded "outright liars", we made a small mistake and for that we are sorry. It is never our intention to mislead anyone, we are trying to write books that get people cooking, that's all.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2012 12:17:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Feb 2012 12:19:25 GMT
Auntie Judy says:
I would wholeheartedly agree with what James says - I have been using this book for some time now & once I built up my supply of basic storecupboard ingredients I found that my shopping was often cheaper than the stated lists as I didn't need to buy certain ingredients. I certainly found that the portion sizes were more than adequate for me (but I'm a girl - perhaps the guys need a larger portion?) I do hope that the review which prompted this post doesn't put people off this book - I've actually had to buy a second copy as my original one fell apart through daily use!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›