1.0 out of 5 stars Poor !, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Apartment [DVD] (DVD)
Think I've been put on the wrong planet!

Just got a lend of this off a neighbour and wasted two hours of my life! Can anybody quote me one funny line out of this supposed "Comedy" ???

The doctor in trying to revive Shirley McClaine slaps her about and then pours scalding hot coffee down her gullet while she's unconscious!, maybe that was the comedy? The main theme seems to be about suicide, I think I would commit suicide if forced to watch this rubbish again!

Before anybody says I haven't got a sense of humour I thought Jack Lemmon was brilliant in "The Odd Couple" and "Out of Towners", and have just recently bought the latter.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Nov 2011 16:04:31 GMT
Fran Kubelik:
"I'd like to spell it out for you... only I can't spell! "

Posted on 13 Jan 2012 09:55:58 GMT
S.P. says:
You are correct, Beedee. The Apartment is not a comedy. Films of the great director Billy Wilder are often hard to pigeonhole. They tend to encompass multiple genres. You may think you are watching a comedy only to find out it contains more drama than comedy. The Apartment is a drama that does have some humor, but it's very dark humor. After all, this is about infidelity, depression and suicide. Fran's suicide attempt is a key moment in the film and was certainly not intended to be funny. It's when Baxter witnesses Dr. Dreyfuss trying to save Fran's life that he realizes he needs to change the way he is living his life. The winner of 5 Oscars, The Apartment is a very good film, it's just not a pure comedy. If it's comedy you want, stick with Benny Hill and Monty Python.

I do agree with your views on Jack Lemmon and The Out-of-Towners. Lemmon was brilliant more often than not, and The Out-of-Towners is one of his better films.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012 14:35:44 BDT
Chard says:
Billy Wilder, "Some people say it's my best comedy, but with The Apartment, I never set out to make a comedy. I don't consider it a comedy. But when people laugh, I don't argue!

Posted on 12 May 2012 10:55:18 BDT
sueb says:
beedee, you were brave to put a 1 star on this movie,THIS MOVIE?one of the best,well everyone gets to say what he or she thinks,but this movie ,really

Posted on 14 Dec 2012 17:40:25 GMT
I agree... I think you are on the wrong planet! One of the best movies of all time from one of the greatest writer/directors of all time, and you give it 1 star! I think this says more about you than it does about the movie.

Posted on 14 Jun 2013 18:58:17 BDT
Brew Spanner says:
Beedee dumb or troll. No idea about films. Hulk smash!

Posted on 8 Aug 2013 00:49:36 BDT
I've always considered it more of a Drama / Romance than a Comedy. An absolute classic which I'm glad to see on Blu Ray. If you don't like it, then fair enough. We all have our own tastes and points of view.

Posted on 8 Feb 2014 17:47:48 GMT
David Fuller says:
C ertainly, one star is a harsh score. Maybe you didn't
u nderstand the premise of the film or perhaps its many
n uances were lost on you. It's possible that the beauty of
t he film's construction just went over your head.

Posted on 18 May 2014 11:12:57 BDT
Mr. B. White says:
For me the ultimate black comedy Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon's finest moment.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (63 customer reviews)

15.99 4.81