1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible phone - "pretend" smartphone, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: HTC Wildfire Sim Free Mobile Phone - Metal Mocha (Electronics)
I persuaded my father to get the HTC wildfire so we could chat via Skype as I travel abroad alot. I've just set it all up and have now only realised that apparently the wildfire "isn't powerful enough" to handle Skype calls.

It seems to me that this is a "pretend" smartphone. Looks the business but just doesn't deliver. Defo not worth the 150 cost. Just bypass this nonsense and get the Desire or better still an iPhone.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Mar 2011 00:27:20 GMT
Mr. T. Evans says:
The amusing thing reading your review is that it is technically completely wrong!

Talk Time (up to) Desire 6h 30 hours - Wildfire 8h 10 (3G) hours
Standby Time (up to) Desire 360 hours - Wildfire 480 h (3G) hours

The Wildfire might be cheaper, but technically the battery life on the Wildfire is more lengthy then it's Brother...

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2011 23:49:23 GMT
jrhartley says:
This is hilarious if you actually believe these figures. Standby time on the wildfire with light usage you are lucky to get 24 hours. It is atrocious, needs constant charging - and that's with wifi and bluetooth off all the time. If you have them on - under 8 hours battery life. If you are going on manufacturer claims, more fool you. I trust you don't believe the published mpg figures for cars either?

Posted on 21 Mar 2011 02:08:11 GMT
KenP says:
My brother gets a couple of days use out of his and being young he is using it all the time.

I only get a day out of my Desire but this seems to be quite usual for most smartphones.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2011 11:24:48 GMT
Ian May says:
I have this piece of junk too. I can fully charge the battery, leave the house, and in 45 mins ride to work, I've logged into foursquare, sent a couple of Google Buzzes, done some Google Chat. No music, no phone calls, no photos. I get to work and the battery life is already down to about 55% - in under an hour - and not heavy use.

I have had to buy an extra battery, and even then, I sometimes barely make it through a ten hour door to door day.

Posted on 22 Mar 2011 11:27:48 GMT
Ian May says:
This phone is slow. This phone has terrible screen resolution. It won't run Flash Player 10.1 even with a Froyo upgrade, so I can't use BBC iPlayer for example. Mind you, the battery life is so dire, it wouldn't last five minutes if I could. Avoid this, I wish I had.

Posted on 22 Mar 2011 20:50:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Mar 2011 20:50:48 GMT
KenP says:
What are people expecting for about 200?

This is a budget Android phone, it was never designed to be able to perform every function like it's more expensive relations, as an entry level phone it is pretty good. Personally I couldn't put up with the speed or the screen resolution but my brother is more than happy with it.

If someones battery is dropping tp 55% after an then I suspect that the phone is faulty as my brother gets a couple of days use out of his.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2011 21:09:11 GMT
jrhartley says:
What are people expecting for about 200?

----

at least a phone that works without your voice dropping out, a phone that can hold a signal in a good reception area, a phone that doesn't arbitrarily brick and turn itself off without warning? After all, my 15 Nokia manages to do both those things pretty well....

Posted on 22 Mar 2011 21:15:48 GMT
KenP says:
If the phone is faulty send it back. A good one works fine apart from being a bit slow.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2011 21:22:06 GMT
jrhartley says:
Its gone back. This is the second one - behaving as the first.

Posted on 22 Mar 2011 21:25:13 GMT
KenP says:
I can only go on my experience with the Desire and my brothers Wildfire. As I said it's too slow for me but my brother is happy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›