5.0 out of 5 stars Here Spidey Spidey..., 25 Jan 2005
This review is from: Spider-Man 2 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Sam Raimi has by far exceeded himself with this breathtaking sequel, making it almost hard to believe that he was the wonder behind the entertaining yet stupefied 'Evil Dead'. Spiderman 2 makes all the other of today's comic-strip film phenomena's (Hulk, X-men etc) look poignant. I mean tell me what careless buffoon would release 'Thunderbirds' at the same time? Of course unless their every intention was to make Spidey look inconceivable suprafragilistically the ultimate blockbuster of summer 2004...or maybe ever!!
The sequel certainly leans to a more humorous script than the original, but I am not afraid to say it works, it works, it works. I cannot stand the cheesy song 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' and I hate its connotations with "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. So why on earth did I feel fantastically jolly when Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) is walking to college in his geeky outfit to the same song I now find charmingly invigorating? I guess sometimes a film can kill a song and a different film can rejuvenate it! - oh the circle of life! Excuse my enthusiasm.
Spiderman still finds it hard to convince his fellow citizens that he is a good guy and not the menace the Daily Bugle portrays (no thanks to the feeble editor fantastically played by J.K. Simmons). Peter in turn has stopped handing in snapshots of Spiderman to the newspaper because Spiderman refuses due to a damaging reputation, which means Peter's photography looks to be on the verge of failure. Bizarrely, he is fired then unfired to be the photographer at an engagement bash - Peter receives two hefty blows, one physical from his best-pal and one mental from MJ. Along with the struggles of Spiderman and photography, poor Peter has to balance a part-time pizza-delivery job with his college studies. Not to mention his perplexed undeniable love for MJ (Kirsten Dunst). Peter rendering into organised schizophrenia on the outside is suffering on the inner, and so it is not surprising that Spiderman is losing his powers. As the doctor puts it - "Maybe Spiderman isn't supposed to climb those walls."
The bad guy? Okay, some crazy scientist called Dr Octavius (played by our very own Alfred Molina) trying to create nuclear fusion in the palm of his hand. Obviously as usual 'his success in failure becomes his failure to admit defeat', which in my opinion gives the character someone we can all share empathy. Aunt May (Rosemary Harris) depicts beautifully "sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams." Rather than Spiderman using his special powers to save the world he remembers the powerful words of Aunt May to make Dr Octavius see sense.
Mr Maguire and Miss Dunst are both undeniably terrific in the film, Stan Lee and of course Steve Ditko (lets not get in a legal feud) could not have wished for better actors to play their beloved caricatures. In a very childish way I share the love for them so much as well. In fact, I am already having withdrawal symptoms from my absence watching Spiderman and my viewing was only half-an-hour ago! Hurry up Spiderman 3!!
P.S. Not that I complained much in the original Spiderman - but I swear the special effects are much better this time! Spiderman does looks more realistic - those who disagree - please buy yourself an imagination!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]