1.0 out of 5 stars Beware which lead you use, 15 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote Control for Nikon DSLR with Timer and Time Lapse (Accessory)
I ordered the Hahnel Giga T Pro and as always with Amazon it arrived the next day. I had read that it is a good piece of kit and the camera mag I read each month recommended it. I have a Nikon D90 and I opened the pack to find all the bits plus 3 leads presumably to fit all types of Nikon cameras. I was a bit wary of the instructions manual as other Amazon reviewers had said that it leaves a lot to be desired. They were right! It is quite difficult to follow.
I placed the supplied battery into the Giga T Pro and selected what looked to be the correct lead from the 3 (there are no pointers in the instructions as to which lead fitted my camera). It did not fit, even though the pins in the plug appeared to match those of the remote release socket on my D90. One of the other leads fitted but very loosely and I switched on the camera and then the Giga T Pro. The camera was dead with no power. It had been in perfect working order up to the moment I plugged in the Giga T Pro. £216 later, having blown the main power and programme boards of my D90 I decided to cut my losses and sent the Giga T Pro back to Amazon for their usual swift refund.
Hahnel have been sympathetic and sent me the "correct" lead for my camera but I shall not be re-ordering. They refused to consider contributing to the cost of the repair even though they acknowledge that the instructions manual leaves a lot to be desired. I just hope this post will hasten their efforts to improve it and to ensure that the leads they supply are clearly marked and fit correctly. You have been warned.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Feb 2011 10:38:38 GMT
mat says:
Thanks for this info - but are you saying the pack did not come with the correct lead for the D90, or that you used the wrong one?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2011 14:36:16 GMT
Mikeyb says:
There were three leads in the pack and the one that looked as though it should be the right one did not fit. The only one that went in was very wobbly and clearly was the wrong one-benefit of hindsight and it was this that blew the boards. Hahnel sent the "correct" one which looked similar to the one that looked right in the first place but I did not try it as 1. I had sent the pack back and 2. I did not want to risk it. I still have the one Hahnel sent-untried! Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2011 14:47:49 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Feb 2011 14:50:04 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2011 14:50:57 GMT
mat says:
Thanks; I won't risk it!

Posted on 28 Sep 2011 22:06:03 BDT
I always read comments before buying a product, and I think your comment is very helpful and informative. I was contemplating on buying one, but I WONT RISK IT ANYMORE.

Posted on 1 Jul 2012 01:24:12 BDT
Baker1000 says:
Aye, I was very interested in buying this and a sudden thought to read the reviews crossed my mind. I have a D90 and now I won't risk it as I would prefer to keep the camera as a back up even when I upgrade to something bigger in a few years.

That being said, has anyone found an intervalometer that does suit the Nikon D90? None of the ones on here (Amazon) seem very trustworthy.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2015 16:29:22 GMT
Joanne says:
The very same thing happened to me, damaging circuit board leading to costly repairs! I have a Nikon D90.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2015 16:41:49 GMT
Mikeyb says:
Sorry to hear this. It is a real pain and very costly. Hope you're back up and running.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›