3.0 out of 5 stars Version 4.1 & FAST CPU are essential, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4, Student and Teacher Edition (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
Loading up version 4.0 was a disaster and unusable - am running dual screens which I believe is known to suffer serious performance issues. 4.1RC2 was no better, but 4.1 is just about usable on my box - Intel quad Core 2 Extreme overclocked 33% with 8gb ram overclocked 20%, and 3-disk raid-0. With 4.1 still not happy when processing raw files from a D4 however, so just ordered kit to build new box - spent more parts than have on D800E... Now you see why performace is a big issue for me, 19GB files from the D4 vs. 75GB from the 800!!

I liked the fill light and recovery sliders in 3.6, not so sure the highlights and shadows sliders are as effective in 4, but then maybe I should have better control of exposure when shooting. Have compared final images from LR with same from Nikon's NX2, and you'd be hard-pressed to see any difference. Nikon's NX2 has no such performance issues, nor do I struggle using Aperture on my MacBook. The map function is great when using GPS. Overall, would I recommend LR4? In summary it seems to me one needs a very high spec machine (£1500+) to get anything like decent performance whatever you may think of the application.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jul 2012 12:36:47 BDT
JJ says:
Cheers for the advice on the performance!
Did you use LR3 beforehand? I was considering upgrading, but even with that I have small performance issues at times. Neeedless to say, as I am looking at the student edition of the software, that I cannot afford to upgrade my system.

Oh, just BTW, because I am pedantic and I know it. I presume you are refering to Mb files from your D4 and D800, not Gb. :D

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2012 13:13:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jul 2012 13:14:42 BDT
AndrewCee says:
I have experience using LR3 and suffered no performance issues. I tend to prefer the exposure adjustments in 3.6 over 4.0 too. I've read a number of comments about performance in 4, some suggesting one imports with specific adjustments set to 0 as they are processor intensive, but hey, I bought LR4 to process my images as I want to process them not constrained by LR.

DXO Optics Pro have been most kind and given me a great (student) discount on their software, which I feel is more scientifically matched to the photo kit ones using (bodies/lenses) and has optimisations built in accordingly. Results thus far are superb. So, perhaps one should consider: Does one buy mass-market software with known issues or support the small guy who builds software designed for the task, and proven to work well? I should say however, Optics Pro lacks LR's cataloging abilities, but combine the two and voila!! OP has a button to export to LR too...

And yes, D4 raw files are close on 20MB, D800E closer to 80MB.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 14 Jul 2012 13:19:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jul 2012 13:22:55 BDT
AndrewCee says:
One more update if it helps...

LR4.1 RC2 still suffered poor performance. LR4.1 official realease is a tad better, but the import process still takes a good while with either the D4 or D800 images. The raw import is okay, it's the processing thereafter that takes 'forever'.

Turn off processing during import, then open an image full size in library. 'Loading...' Zoom in 100% (1:1). 'Loading...' 'Loading' still takes about 5 secs each time having imported and processed images. I'm running a PC with solidstate disk, an i7-3960X processor, and 32GB ram. Let's just say it's not for lack of horsepower LR4 fails to turn the lights on!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (26 customer reviews)

Out of stock