1.0 out of 5 stars Great film - "Digital copy" an absolute joke, 29 April 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Limited Edition Steelbook [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2012] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I think the film is great, and the blu-ray disc looks marvellous.

However, the so-called "digital" copy that comes with this disc is probably one of the worst iterations of any software I have ever come across.

The last 2 Blu-ray discs I bought had these UV digital copies - only not the usual iTunes/Windows Media Player redemption codes, but "ultraviolet" copies.
With an iTunes code I can download the movie onto iTunes on my PC, sync with my iPad and job done. With Ultraviolet I have to;

1. Go to a specific dedicated url just for that movie.
2. Type in the redemption code that's printed in the tiniest writing ever.
3. Go to the Flixster site - create a Flixster account AND ALSO create an Ultraviolet account.
4. Download the Flixster app on my iPad
5. Spend hours and hours waiting for the film to download - only for the download to stop...fail...stop...fail.
6. I try to start the film on my PC - My Ultraviolet account takes me to the Flixster site to watch the film (why?) The Flixster site has a link that says "already have an Ultraviolet account? Click here". I click and it takes me to a page to sign up to Flixster, when I already have a Flixster account. There's no option to sign in to Flixster.
7. I go directly to the Flixster site - I sign in to my Flixster account (not my UV account - why do I need TWO accounts?). I start the movie - and the quality of the picture is truly awful.
8. My only other option is to download the Flixster app onto my PC. Given how dreadful the experience is and how poor the websites of Ultraviolet and Flixster are, I'm not going to bother.

Basically, imho, I have no digital copies of these movies.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Apr 2013 01:59:40 BDT
Flmfn says:
I suggest downloading a digital version to use on your pc. You've already bought a copy, so no need for feelings of guilt there, imho... If they want to stop us downloading, I suggest make digital copies easier to obtain with your legally purchased hard copy.

Posted on 4 May 2013 07:36:50 BDT
D. Mccaffrey says:
I recommend watching the disc.

Posted on 27 May 2013 18:36:04 BDT
Paddington says:
Thanks for the warning. I can't stand these new UV digital copies. Rubbish! They're not really free digital copies at all.

Posted on 9 Jun 2013 17:33:33 BDT
Scott says:
In the US, ultraViolet is available in Wal-Mart. You bring in old dvds for a fee of around $4 per disc, and you can buy 'digital streaming rights' to those movies. You are paying to have your already bought movies in digital format. No wonder some users choose to download 'elsewhere', or simply convert their own movies. Ultraviolet is just DRM all over again. As for any 'free digital copy' with a new movie, why would anyone want to have to re-pay and use up their own internet bandwidth to watch what should be included on disc? If it states that it includes a digital copy, it should be telling the truth.

Posted on 8 Oct 2013 19:11:02 BDT
Neil Gibson says:
The comment about UV is absolutely correct and they should go back to the simple downloads in iTunes. In addition to the issues described here we have recently emigrated to Germany but still buy DVDs from Amazon.uk including this one. Needless to say we can't access the digital version of the movie from here but need to be back in the UK. Pointless, small-minded, petty restrictions on something we were ill-advised enough to pay for.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›