4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but not what you would expect, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Companion Prayer Book to the Liturgy of the Hours (Paperback)
I've recently gone through a bit of a change in life, I decided I wanted to become more spiritual with my Catholic faith so I bought the Liturgy of the Hours text. I thought its best not to jump into something at the deep end and it would be a good idea to buy some support texts. I've seen reviews of this book before, they mentioned that its a bit deep for a beginner. I would say that it wasn't what I thought it would be, but it was still a good book.

I would agree that the book goes in depth to describe the deeper elements of the meaning of the different elements of the Liturgy of the Hours. I think I bought this book expecting to get an 'idiots guide' to praying it. This was really quite in depth Theology which was really good as I really enjoy reading about meanings and that kind of thing.

Basically at the end of the book it gives a good way for actually reading the hours, it mentions the process (acclaimed by St Benedict himself in 2005) of Lectio Divinas. Which basically involves lots of different stages of (pre/during/after) prayer of what we should do. I think its a good way to pray.

The book did bring up quite a few good reflection points:

The final prayer expresses our last wish. The prayers that close the hour take up the fundamental themes of compline, Abandonment and peace, hope of resurrection, rest in the bosom of the father of mercies.

Throughout the Office, chanting the Psalms prepares the heart and mind to hear the proclaimation of the sacred texts.

It is not enough to listen, one must also meditate on the word, better still savour it. In doing so, we follow the example of Mary who sat at the Lords feet.

We should move from saying the hours to praying the hours.

We must hear Jesus' voice in prayer... If we remember that Jesus is present in our souls, who is praying, we can partake in the hours in a spiritual way!

So lots of points to reflect on, whilst it wasn't what I expected I have taken a lot from it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]