5.0 out of 5 stars Plant Whatever Brings You Joy. Blessed Wisdom From The Garden, 26 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Plant Whatever Brings You Joy: Blessed Wisdom from the Garden (Kindle Edition)
I loved it!
It is ostensibly a book about Kathryn's life, her multiple house moves, her life in different countries and in different part of America, her beloved daughter and her many gardens - yet it is so much more than this and touches the heart (my heart anyway) because of it.

The book is divided into 52 chapters of varying lengths, all having very temping titles such as 'Aim for beauty','Appreciate small returns','Clean up after a storm' and - my favourite title, 'Move gently among bees'. The titles intrigued me and pulled me in.
I planned to read it in one go - manageable at 228 pages, but it didn't work out like that.Kathryn's memories and experiences are rich and fascinating, but they also deliver clever but gentle metaphors for self discovery and learning - both hers and her readers.

She has a canny nack of making her last sentence in the chapter either a statement or a question, both of which seemed designed to make me go "oh, what? yeah! I do that!", " Ooops, perhaps I could have done that differently?" or "Hmmm, maybe I ought......!", but always making me stop and think. Hence the reason I couldn't read the book all in one sitting, no matter how much I wanted to, as I just had to have some thinking time.
She writes in such a way that I found myself smiling, nodding and even, on more than one occasion, my eyes filling with unshed tears - from both pleasure and sadness previously held in. Memories of people, places and events long forgotten or sometimes supressed came unbidden into my head as I read.
This is a thought provoking book that stands repeated readings - and I will certainly be dipping back into it on a regular basis. Her motto for her book publishing company is 'Changing the world one book at a time' and she has certainly done that for me with this book!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]