4.0 out of 5 stars Paying for convenience, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Samsung BD-D8500 Blu-ray 3D Player with Freeview HD and PVR Upto 500GB (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I swapped a DigitalStream DHR8203U PVR for this product, as I couldn't cope with the DigitalStream's poor picture quality relative to my TV tuner's. It also solved my present problem of not having a Blu ray player. I bought it to match my 40" Samsung LED backlit TV, and they work very well together.

Setup was very easy. Network detection worked well, although the text input (for passwords, etc.) is rather clumsy. Picture quality from the tuner seems top notch. Blu ray output quality looks equally good. Upscaling from DVD amazed me; I've never seen my DVDs look so good. The on-screen user interface is intuitive and sleek. Also, I really like the Samsung remote controls.

Although I was told the product had a Lovefilm app, it currently doesn't. Samsung tells me that this will come within two weeks. BBC iPlayer works very well with no pauses on my system.

I've not yet tried 2D-3D conversion, so can't comment on that.

The biggest frustration with this product is that although it has two Freeview+HD tuners, only one is "attached" to the hard drive, so it's impossible to record more than one channel at a time. But I knew this limitation before I bought it. Although I'm hoping that a future software upgrade might address this "issue", I doubt it.

At the time of writing, this Samsung product is very new to market so it's relatively quite expensive. Also, it has the annoying limitation of single channel recording, which is not present in other, cheaper products. But this Samsung looks and feels like a quality product. Personally, I was willing to compromise this functionality for a single box, quality product solution. I expect that others won't be prepared to make that compromise and other products will soon outshine this Samsung.

I'm happy with this product because it does what I need, and does it well, but with the one-channel record limitation I can see Samsung selling very few or the price dropping quickly.

One other point to note: if you buy a Samsung product from Amazon, your guarantee is with Amazon, not Samsung. This might not be a problem but when I had an issue with my TV, the Samsung helpline were unwilling to talk to me. Also, I have heard that Samsung offer longer guarantee periods than the one-year Amazon guarantee, but I have no proof of this.

[Add comment]