1,280 of 1,307 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Tough to start with - but incredible results!, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer (Paperback)
I just wanted to share my experience with anyone thinking about starting on this diet.

I consider myself a yo-yo dieter. Once committed to a diet I do stick to it. The trouble for me arises at Christmas, birthdays and other special occasions. I think to myself, for the next week I will treat myself, it's only Christmas or my birthday once a year right? Wrong.

This is a trigger for me. Once I have fallen off the wagon I am in big trouble and usually put the majority of the weight back on. Kidding myself that I will start again on Monday, but never following through. Only being jolted back into action when I approach my heaviest weight. The trouble is I have been "dieting", trying to control my daily calorie intake, essentially denying myself food. What I really needed was to establish a new relationship with my food. A relationship where there is no proverbial wagon to fall off... This is exactly what the Fast Diet is.

The principle is simple: two days a week you fast, sticking to 500 calories for women or 600 calories for men, and for the other five days you eat what you like. I eat breakfast (toast and two poached eggs) and dinner (fish/chicken with plenty vegetables) on my fast days, and pretty much what I like on feed days. Initially I thought I would be tempted to over eat on feed days - but I found the opposite is true. Once you have had the determination to fast for a day, the next day you feel satisfied with smaller portions. You also don't want to undo all the effort from your fast days and that adds another motivating factor to the mix. I found myself averaging around 1,900 calories on feed days and feeling perfectly well fed.

The first few days of fasting were really tough, but I stuck with it. For me it took about six fasting days before I began to consider it easy to do. I found sipping water throughout the day, around 4-5 litres, really helped keep the hunger at bay during this settling in phase. I cannot drink black coffee or tea, so I added a little milk and tracked that in my daily calorie intake (around 15 cals per cup). I didn't experience any headaches or tiredness and I am able to walk for 1 hour on fast days no problem at all. I don't feel like I am living on the bare minimum amount of energy to stay alive.

I don't consider this method a diet. You can look at your working week and choose what days you are going to fast. I personally always fast on Mondays, and I am flexible with my second fast day depending on what is happening during that particular week. While on the diet I have woken up on what was supposed to be a fast day only to decide that I need to eat something more that 600 calories. On previous diets I would feel terrible about it, triggering a spiral of eating that gets out of control. On this diet all I do is start the fast again the next day. There is no reason to beat yourself up if you slip up on this diet.

So now - the important part, how much have I lost? Well following this diet since the Horizon programme in September I have lost well over two stone, and feel a hell of a lot better inside as well as outside.

Best 3 you will spend this year.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Feb 2013 19:29:08 GMT
When I read this post, it could have been me that wrote it! I have just signed up (and paid up )to Scottish Slimmers for 10 weeks, having lost a stone and a half before Christmas and feeling really positive, along came Christmas and now on the 6th Feb I'm still no nearer to starting back on the diet, this actually could be very do-able, I'm off to download a copy to my Kindle, thank you for your review, it has made me feel more posititve about this now.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 09:13:15 GMT
DebbieB says:
Absolutely agree with everything said here. I have only done two fast days so far but already feel more in control and more aware of when I am really hungry. A brilliant book.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 11:00:54 GMT
Dee says:
Great review, I agree with everything said.
My husband and myself are doing well on this diet, and find for the first time a long term diet/health pLan that is not only easy to stick with, but works :D
Love it ..............

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 10:24:23 GMT
Thanks for the review..That`s a fantastic loss in 5 months.

Posted on 26 Feb 2013 14:46:42 GMT
Maitri says:
Very interesting. I think you would also love Gillian Rileys books ("Ditching Diets").

Posted on 27 Feb 2013 07:50:08 GMT
Thanks for this review.I have the book and there is some great information and advice.What I cant seem to get to grips with is sorting out calorie counting.You estimate (around 15 cals per cup) when you have coffee.So are you totting up as you go through the day or are your calories pre set before you start your fast day?Where do you get your fast dish recipes from?Do you think it would be a good idea to buy the "fast Diet" recipe book? Any help from any quarter would be appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2013 09:56:23 GMT
ScotsLad says:
Hi Prof Goodfellow,

I used a website called MyFitnessPal to track my daily calories - there is also an app for your smart phone. This allows me to plan my day. I try to split it as 250 calories for breakfast and 350 for dinner. I don't track my tea/coffee as strictly, as its only 15 calories per cup, and I maybe have 3 - 4 cups per day.

I don't use any recipes really - MyFitnessPal allows you to plan your own meals. I personally find you can't go wrong with a bit of chicken or fish and a plateful of green vegetables.

Finally, 500 or 600 calories is not an exact science, I gave myself 10% flexibility and sometimes eat a little more, or a little less than my set amount.

Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2013 12:15:00 GMT
Thanks ever so much Scotslad for taking the time to send me the information.I will get onto the Myfitnesspal website asap.Regards Joe

Posted on 7 Mar 2013 15:03:31 GMT
L. E. Morton says:
scotslad sounds just like me i could of wrote that, well done on losing 2 stone, good on you, i am going to give it a try
cheers

Posted on 12 Mar 2013 11:07:06 GMT
Well Anyway says:
I totally relate to everything you have said and well done on your weight loss. However one small point, Doc Moseley actually says on the non fast days you can eat 'normally' he doesn't say you can 'eat what you like' there is a subtle difference I think .
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›