7 of 8 people found the following review helpful
Atmospheric but unplayable,
This review is from: Call of Duty: Finest Hour (Xbox) (Video Game)
First things first: I know most of the other reviewers here have said it, but it's worth pointing out one more time - the COD games on the PC are fantastic, far better than the Medal Of Honor series, mainly due to the excellent way they recreate the loud chaos of war going on around you. This element is the one thing that 'COD Finest Hour' manages to replicate pretty well for XBox. The sound is defeaning, explosions and gunfire are all around you...it creates a really powerful atmosphere. Unfortunately, almost every other aspect of the PC games has been spoiled in some way, resulting in an almost unplayable title. For example:-
* The weapons in the game are difficult to use with any accuracy and seem to do little damage. Plus, enemies go through an outrageously long death animation whle still standing, meaning you invariably waste ammunition on dead-but-still-standing targets.
* You 'run' at the speed of a snail. Not only that, but you freeze momentarily whenever you are shot. This means that if you are caught out in the open, you have no chance of surviving unless you are carrying plenty of medkits. Automatic weapons will virtually freeze you in place as they eat away at your health and you are unable to move at more than a crawl due to the repeated hits.
* The game's difficulty curve is not at all smooth, it makes sudden leaps which lead to huge levels of frustration; almost the entire second half of the game is completely unfair.
* Only one checkpoint at most (sometimes none) in missions which can last up to half an hour.
* Idiotic AI of your squadmates makes them virtually redundant. You're in desperate need of cover while they're stuck on the scenery.
* The graphics are plain and the textures ugly, although at least there's plenty going on, and the cinematic feel is pretty impressive.
These are gameplay flaws which are simply unforgivable, especially considering how well the series played on PC. What went wrong I can't imagine, but this is a very disappointing title which will only suit the most patient of players.