5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade - The Note series evolves, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Titanium Grey (Electronics)
I bought the original Note as soon as it was released in November 2011 and to be honest if it wasn't for my obsession with having the latest gadgets I would have been quite happy to hold on to it. It was a truly ground breaking phone which I did not expect to be bettered for a long time. It would appear that it has in less than a year!

The first thing you notice when you take the new Note out of the box is the increase in screen size. Samsung has managed to get in more screen estate and actually reduce the overall size of the body compared to the original. It occupies almost the entire front with much smaller bezel surrounding the screen. I must admit it looks great, a definite improvement. Its also not as wide as the original and I found it easier to use one-handed as a result. I also didn't notice any weight difference so another positive. Personally I would have tolerated an increased weight if they could have used more premium metallic materials instead of the usual Samsung plastics!

I also found the stylus to be improved with much better connection to the screen enabling me to have far more control over what I am writing / drawing. The stylus is also a bit thicker and a tad longer which also improves the experience.

I didn't really notice any improvement in screen resolution or clarity but the original was excellent anyway so not sure how it could be improved.

In terms of performance, this is where the most notable enhancements come. The original Note sometimes stuttered and lagged when heavily loaded. Despite my best efforts, so far I am not seeing any of this with the new Note. In fact it flies at every task and I get the feeling this processor can handle much much more.

Other good stuff:
-Early days but the battery seems stronger. Its got about 20% more capacity than the original so this should be expected.
-The speaker on this thing is fantastic for a phone. Best I have heard
-I have it running a 64GB SD Card in addition to the 16GB - Lots of nice storage

Not so good:
-Camera is the same as on the original - would have like some major improvements here
-May be too big for many - buyer beware

In summary, I think it's worth the upgrade if you have the original and cash to spare providing you can get a good price for your old one. If your new to the Note series and you are looking for a portable internet device for media, email, browsing etc and make the odd phone call every now and then this is a truly superb device. Did I mention it was very big!! I love it

Update 25/11/2012
After nearly two months using this phone I wanted to come back and comment specifically on the battery life (which was poor on the original Note). In short the battery on this is phenomenal, with medium to heavy use I can comfortably get two full days charge. Every smart phone I've owned has always struggled to get past one full day so this is a huge benefit. Given the size of this screen and power of the phone this is a fantastic achievement by Samsung.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Oct 2012 18:52:33 BDT
A Fitzgerald says:
The screen resolution is in fact nominally lower than the original - 1280 x 800 vs 1280 x 720 - unless you're referring to subpixels.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2012 19:17:34 BDT
Hi, thanks for pointing that out. I was just trying to say that I did not notice any difference to the original.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012 00:00:54 BDT
L.O says:
Yes however its not actually got a lower resolution, its just thats its changed aspect ratio, so the need for the extra 80 pixels would make it look worse.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012 08:27:36 BDT
A Fitzgerald says:
So yes the resolution is lower, 1 was 800 and 2 720. They've adpoted the more common 16:9 aspect ratio which arguably improves the display of most video, but for other purposes the resolution may be missed.

Posted on 9 Oct 2012 10:47:57 BDT
BSW says:
The display on the Note II is of a slightly lower resolution than the Note, but it does use a brand new Super Amoled technology at the subpixel level that has not featured on other handsets. Side by side comparison with the Note will reveal superior saturation, deeper blacks and more difficult to make out individual pixels, resulting in a display that looks slightly better despite the reduction in ppi.

Posted on 22 Nov 2012 19:17:47 GMT
iCharlotte says:
Hello, can I ask if this comes with the proper packaging? e.g. Just the same as if you bought it in store with the cables etc. Just a bit weary of buying things online. Is it safe to buy a mobile at this price online?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 21:21:27 GMT
Yes, it comes in full retail packaging

Posted on 26 Nov 2012 22:14:35 GMT
what about the sim card? what sim card did you have to use? was it a micro-sim?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2012 22:18:29 GMT
Yes it's a micro-sim. I had my sim cut to size at my local phone shop for £2

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 18:55:09 GMT
Catrina says:
Thank you for the review. Does this have bluetooth?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Andreas Iacovou
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: London