3.0 out of 5 stars Runs well but seems to have become IWindows, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition - Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Windows 8 runs well but is very different and the new tablet focused interface is somewhat jarring on a desktop PC. That this has been designed for platform devices to compete with the dominance of Apple is very apparent in its whole design.

When you boot, the first thing you see is the new Start Screen. This has replaced the old start menu and pulls apps and services together into this one screen presented as "live tiles" integrating deeply with Windows Live and it's services.

The look and feel is now very clearly optimised for tablets and it's going to be a shock to the system for a lot of people and you have to question whether it's of any real use to Windows 7 users who have all they need.

Programs are all now available via the "apps" search from the start screen, you need to search for them and can then pin them to there or your task bar. Once you start to get used to where things are it does fall into place. A tip for easier navigation is to press the windows key and just start typing the name of what you want to do.

If you prefer to work with the desktop in the traditional way then you'll want to hit the "desktop" option from the start screen.

I've tested a range of my programs and most worked fine for me. The only thing I've had to change was to switch to using Windows Defender for anti virus as my old one didn't work anymore.

Windows 8's main strength is in performance. It runs well and is slightly snappier than Windows 7 was. Having said that, you will get a much more significant speed boost if you install a Solid State drive, that brings huge gains rather than small boosts though I have experienced some reliability concerns of late with mine.

So windows 8... runs well but is very different and I couldn't recommend it for those happy with their current set-up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Nov 2012 18:04:11 GMT
Cheule says:
If you want a more Windows 7 style experience, I recommend downloading "Powershell" for Windows 8, it puts the start bar back plus it puts you back at the desktop on boot (of course you can still use the new Start window too!).

This is one of the first things I did after upgrading to Windows 8 Pro, so I can get used to using both in my own time.

Hope this helps you and others who may need it. (I got the recommendation for the program from Tekzilla, a TV channel on the Revision3 network.) :)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2012 18:12:34 GMT
Thank you, that's much appreciated and a great tip.

Posted on 3 Nov 2012 22:41:10 GMT
QT says:

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2012 22:51:42 GMT
Yes absolutely. Why go through the pain of such a change unless there is a business drive to do it. Right now we have no program's or services that require it and it'll be a long time I suspect before we will develop apps for win 8 in my department (development for internal business use).

Posted on 4 Nov 2012 20:34:39 GMT
I think most of what K.Trebell is right on but I have changed Win 8 so that for the most part it looks and feels like win7, I loaded allmost straight away a small program called Start8 that gives you back your Start icon in the bottom left of the screen. Win8 loads a LOT quicker than Win7 did and thats with an SSD boot drive for both versions. Shut down is quicker too. There is a lot of stuff where microsoft try to get you to sign up for a live account or whatever but I totaly ignore that stuff and delete it where I can. All in all not a massive leap forward from 7 but there are some nice features in there as well. Unless your a computer geek like me I would stick with 7 for now.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2012 21:38:52 GMT
Thank you. Yes the performance is a nice boost and the ability to get back the start button with these programs is handy. Gives time to get used to it all.

Posted on 6 Nov 2012 00:54:33 GMT
S C says:
Hi.

Good review...
Just to let you know Windows Defender is not an anti virus application , it's to protect against malware.
Avast anti virus is compatible with Windows 8 and it's free.
I don't want you to get an your pc to get an infection so I thought I'd let you know..

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2012 07:18:58 GMT
Hi,
Thanks. I mentioned that as Windows Defender has now replaced MS Security Essentials in 8 as also doing Anit Virus protection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender

Of course it's well worth looking at all options.

Posted on 6 Nov 2012 16:13:39 GMT
Andy says:
Very good review, I totally agree!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2012 16:40:44 GMT
Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Kevin Trebell
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Location: Cornwall, UK