5.0 out of 5 stars Jezza's documentaries need to be in schools!, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Jeremy Clarkson - War Stories [DVD] (DVD)
I had only heard that Jeremy had done documentaries and couldn't find them on the US Amazon website, so I came here. Once I realised that I could order from the UK site, anyway, I excitedly bought this and one of James May's DVD's. It took one week to ship from the UK to the US (and not the three weeks that was estimated), so that was lovely.

It seems that the DVD decided that en route to the US, it no longer wanted to be attached to the case. The case was a prison and it wanted freedom! So, upon arrival, it was sliding around the inside. This was alarming since I do my best to keep my CD's and DVD's in pristine condition. It seems to have sustained only superficial scratches, thankfully, and played the entire way through without mishap.

I absolutely loved both documentaries. I'm interested in history, but not a history buff, so this was perfect. And if I am to be completely honest, I wouldn't have bought it at all had Jeremy not done it.

The Victoria Cross one had me eating up every word. My ears pricked up when he mentioned the VC winner he was going to focus on, Robert Cain. I was dancing in my seat when he said that Major Cain was Manx. I knew for certain that he must have been his wife Francie's dad. Jeremy didn't reveal until the end that this was true. It was a wonderful story. It was well told, well informed, and I really enjoyed that there were interviews with those who knew him.

The Greatest Raid, Ever, was the second documentary, which was equally fantastic, in all senses of the word. The special effects (for which there is a "making of" special) are magnificent. Jeremy did a lovely job outlining all the reasons this was one of the most daft plans ever thought of and why completing it was a suicide mission. I was very pleased that he included something that of the German officers told one of the British ones, that one particular commando should get a VC for his bravery and sheer stubbornness. That was just an amazing insight.

Definitely consider purchasing this even if you aren't a fan of Clarkson and you like history. If you are a fan, like me, absolutely buy it. You won't be disappointed.

I think that after he retires from Top Gear, someday, he needs to do more documentaries. If they showed these in school, I guarantee more kids would get interested.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]