Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn More Shop now Learn more

4.0 out of 5 stars Nuvi 2595 LMT for and against, 25 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2595LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Garmin nüvi 2595LMT 5 inch Screen Sat Nav with European Mapping, Lifetime Map Updates and Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth
The Nuvi arrived on time. I had deliberated for a long time about replacing my old TomTom ONE which has been a good device, not without software and firmware problems over the years, but always fixed without the need to send it back. I have had various Sat Navs for many years, including a very early Garmin with 64 MB of memory!

Pros and Cons for the Nuvi vs. buying a new TomTom? now I have used the new NUVI for a couple of long trips and planned several multi-country trips for the near future. There are some of each, but the postivers outweigh the negatives

First of all: It worked first time after charging for six hours. The owners manual (online only 88 pages) and the quick start leaflet included in the box only mention using the car lead, but the USB will do it, as will a mains charger with a usb socket, provided you check that it is the right voltage. Once charged, connect to the Garmin website, registered, and set about updating the map set for all of Europe, speed cameras etc. Be Patient! the Garmin website does not autoload on connection like TomTom Home, and there are a couple of downloaders to be installed. Once done, using FireFox on Windows XP SP3, with Micctosoft.Net, the download only took 40 minutes, whole process took about an hour.

This is where I found my first "cons". The Owners manual and some instructions online are not crystal clear, or are downright confusing to a new visitor to Garmin websties, after the ease of TomTom home. I have used the email support system twice, to confirm that the French "danger areas" were included, and to find out if Cyclops updates were included. the answers were prompt, accurate and relevant. My reading of the product info indicated it might be on the LMT, but that is not the case, updates are by an additonal subscription. Also I was hoping to use the "live services" as the product info said smartphones enabled this process. Not true. Only Android phones do this, not my iPhone! Although it does twin on Blutooth, I don't us that feature, as my car twins with the iphone for hands free use, including music. OK, I have now subscribed to camera updates, which I would have done with TomTom, but took the edge off the anticipation of a new improved device. I would also like to change the speed camera alert sounds, but cannot find out how that can be done.

On the positive side, my early use has convinced me I made the right choice, once I started to discover and use the many features that are included in the package, including Traffic info and map updates. I have not had the software or reliability problems that some other reviewers report. The traffic info is supplied by routemaster, on a TMC system, which will be around as long as FM radio keeps going. Setting up the device to do automatic detours/re-routes takes a bit of searching on the device, but worked well on two trips from Cornwall to Tyneside. The Cyclops safety alerts worked well, with fewer erroneous reports than on my old TomTom (Belt and braces I used both as a test). Accuracy was slightly better on the Nuvi on the roads, but it does not seem to have the same level of detail as Tom Tom for Services Carparks, or any car parks in general. I have never been sure that mapshare and shared camera reports have been too valuable on TomTom.

One outstanding NUVI feature was the intersection info and the excellent way it was presented.

Also, for me the itinerary planning on the Nuvi is superb, and it works, mostly. For some reason won't let me cross the channel using Plymouth Roscoff route, even though it appears in map view, and sends me through the channel Tunnel to reach Brittany, when I live within 45 minutes of Plymouth - I may have to get on to the support team again!

I am still discovering features I didnt expect (owners manual not covering all of them again), many of which are going to be useful, such as translator, detailed trip meter, and Eco Routing. As I said, I am no sure I have made the right decision, especially as new TomToms will not work with TomTom Home, and its replacement "My TomTom", is in my opinion shoddy, and unsupported by TT support! Also as TomTom re-structure their company (laid off hundreds this year) their stated intention is to concentrate on the fixed in car satnav market, and move away from portable devices, so the once excellent support (which has already deteriorated) will probably fade. So I look forward to a long relationship with the NUVI, and as I am getting older, it will, I am told, take me back to my car when I have forgotten where I left it. which for me is a reassuring feature.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 May 2012 20:10:04 BDT
jacktheraver says:
Hi, with the itineray function can you put in say 8 different locations via post code then the device guides you round them all using the quickest route?

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 19:34:29 BDT
Yes, you can post code, give full address, search for categories, use co-ordinates, or search the maps. you can put them in any order, and then ask the nuvi to optimise the route. I have used it a few times now with good results. Go to APPS and select Trip planner. You can put in your own vias. Only limitation is length of route, but then you have to split it in two. (Cornwal to Andalucia via France)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 12:31:03 BDT
Mr. Bryn says:
Thats brilliant - thanks. Really need the itinary function for my work as I do multiple site visits in the city and often find myself back tracking over myself!!!

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 22:25:47 BDT
Maru says:
I was just about to order this when I read your review. Can I just double check I've understood you correctly. The product info clearly states that that traffic alerts are subscription free but you say this is wrong. I'm puzzled by this as other web sites also say they are subscription free. Is this perhaps a difference between the European version and the US version? I want to be sure I'm getting the subscription free version otherwise it'll be a step backwards compared to my existing nuvi. Have you complained to Amazon that the product is not as described?

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 16:29:15 BDT
Mrs. says:
Hi,

I have just bought this sat nav and it works much better than my old TomTom- just a couple of questions for you afficinados!
1) can i change the voice like TomToms do?
2)Where do i plug in the traffic arial - there is no compatible jack on the Garmin, or does it plug into the radio?? Please help!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›