5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you understand what it does!, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Belkin Wemo Home Automation Switch with Motion Sensor Bundle for Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and Android Devices (Accessory)
I've read countless reviews about the WeMo before purchase, and it appears that the majority of people didn't understand what it could do. Firstly, it doesn't get you out of bed in the morning and put your clothes on. If you think it should you are in the wrong place.

I use my system to control our living room lamp, the light is programmed to come on between certain times if motion is detected during the night, it also turns the lamp on when the sun sets using the ifttt.com weather channel. Which creates the illusion that someone is in if we are ever late back. Want to watch a film with the lights turned off without tripping over kids toys, simple just use your iPhone or Android App. The powerful rule based programming is simple to use and lets you adjust everything you could possibly want to.

I also use the motion sensor to send me an email when motion is detected yet again using ifttt.com. This is very good for knowing that the kids (or wife) have got back home safely when expected, but also from a security point of view it's like a silent alarm if someone is in the house unexpectedly.

You can control the sockets from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.

Setup was very simple if you follow the instructions properly, if you choose to ignore them and do things your own way then I can see how you could run into difficulty. Since setting mine up I've had no problems at all, the units automatically update their firmware so they always stay up to date without any messing about.

Overall I'd recommed them 100% if you understand what they can and can't do. But they have worked perfectly as advertised since purchase for me so I can't rate them highly enough.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Mar 2014 21:54:55 GMT
are you still happy with the product?
have you had to reboot your router since your purchase of the wemo, if you did have to reboot your router then did the wemo work without needing to reset or reprogram it again?
how does it text you if the motion detector is triggered. do you have to pay some subscription or if the subscription is free, how long does it last. what number texts your phone internationally if you have gone abroad. Just curious and wary about this in view of the numerous bad reviews here on amazon uk and usa and many other places.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 07:38:41 GMT
J. Ball says:
It works fine. I use ifttt to email me when motion is detected after quiet periods and it comes through to my phone instantly I've set my address as a VIP sender and it notifies me with whatever tone I've set so I'm not constantly bombarded with tones. I've also set the light to automatically turn on at dusk and off at sunrise and it works really well.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 08:19:19 GMT